My duckling seems fine on a regular basis but sneezes when he eats.

CeceliaD

Songster
Apr 29, 2020
Maine
My Pekin duckling who I believe about a week and a half old is seemingly very healthy and happy. He eats and drinks plenty, but when he’s drinking sometimes he does this thing that looks and sounds like he’s sneezing underwater on purpose. He’ll also itch his beak with his foot after doing this sometimes. I figured he’s probably cleaning his nose out and I’ve peaked into his nose to see if anything looks stuck in there. It seems fairly clean—the same as my other duckling’s nose—but I’ve seen him do this a few times and I’m just worried. Just now he was eating and started opening his beak really wide for a minute. He’s stopped now and seems fine, but I read a post that said something about a duckling opening his beak a lot and laying down a lot and then they found him dead the next morning and I’m horrified of that happening. My duckling does lay down a lot too, but I didn’t think it was an issue until I read that post. He’s also very active at times and usually seems perfectly healthy and fine, but I just want to know if anyone has any idea what this could be. He always has a water dish deep enough to clean his bill when he has food and I have a kitty pool they swim in when it’s warm enough outside. I’m also going to get niacin to add to their feed tomorrow. Any tips are appreciated!

My Pekin duckling who I believe about a week and a half old is seemingly very healthy and happy. He eats and drinks plenty, but when he’s drinking sometimes he does this thing that looks and sounds like he’s sneezing underwater on purpose. He’ll also itch his beak with his foot after doing this sometimes. I figured he’s probably cleaning his nose out and I’ve peaked into his nose to see if anything looks stuck in there. It seems fairly clean—the same as my other duckling’s nose—but I’ve seen him do this a few times and I’m just worried. Just now he was eating and started opening his beak really wide for a minute. He’s stopped now and seems fine, but I read a post that said something about a duckling opening his beak a lot and laying down a lot and then they found him dead the next morning and I’m horrified of that happening. My duckling does lay down a lot too, but I didn’t think it was an issue until I read that post. He’s also very active at times and usually seems perfectly healthy and fine, but I just want to know if anyone has any idea what this could be. He always has a water dish deep enough to clean his bill when he has food and I have a kitty pool they swim in when it’s warm enough outside. I’m also going to get niacin to add to their feed tomorrow. Any tips are appreciated!
I wouldn’t worry too much !! All the ducklings I’ve ever had have done everything you’ve mentioned. And it’s totally normal for ducklings to take lots of naps and then have bursts of energy. If he isn’t CONSTANTLY laying down and opening his beak super wide I wouldn’t worry too much. Ducklings (and ducks in general) are more harsh and resilient than we give them credit for. As long as he’s kept warm and has food and water and is getting all the nutrients he needs he should be just fine. Definitely update us if you have any more concerns though !! I know that I get super worried about my babies sometimes too. :):jumpy

Also welcome to BYC !! :welcome

I wouldn’t worry too much !! All the ducklings I’ve ever had have done everything you’ve mentioned. And it’s totally normal for ducklings to take lots of naps and then have bursts of energy. If he isn’t CONSTANTLY laying down and opening his beak super wide I wouldn’t worry too much. Ducklings (and ducks in general) are more harsh and resilient than we give them credit for. As long as he’s kept warm and has food and water and is getting all the nutrients he needs he should be just fine. Definitely update us if you have any more concerns though !! I know that I get super worried about my babies sometimes too. :):jumpy
Thank you so much for this reply! It makes me feel a lot better. It’s so easy to worry so much about them, but you’re right: they’re quite resilient. I’m not a first time duck mom but I’ve never gotten them this young before and there’s a whole bunch of stuff I’m learning. Thank you again for a quick and comforting reply!

Thank you so much for this reply! It makes me feel a lot better. It’s so easy to worry so much about them, but you’re right: they’re quite resilient. I’m not a first time duck mom but I’ve never gotten them this young before and there’s a whole bunch of stuff I’m learning. Thank you again for a quick and comforting reply!
You’re very welcome !! I always tend to freak out over every little thing, so I totally get it. Just keep an eye on the little guy and I’m sure he’ll be just fine. He seems like a sweetheart !!

I meant *hardy not harsh 🤦‍♀️ LOL.

Back
Top Bottom