CalliBee

Songster
Mar 27, 2022
Hi all, so I recently built a pond for my 4 ducks (7 feet wide, 4.5 feet deep) and the ducks naturally loved it immediately. We couldn’t keep them out while we were building it!

Well as of lately they have been hesitant going in. The past few days they will approach the pond and examine it really closely to which my drake will then rough his feathers up and seem like he signals that it isn’t safe and they all waddle away together. They’ve only been in once in the past week which was yesterday when I threw some tasty treats in. And even then, it took them forever, and when they finally did they were floating around all quiet like, and out of now where they spazzed and came bolting out. Reminded me of a person who touches sea weed in the bottom of the ocean and freaks out lol they haven’t been back in since.

I don’t understand because they have LOVED this pond since the first day. We’ve had it for little over a month now.

The only changes made to the pond since it’s been established is 1) natural wildlife have already taken a liking to it. I see frogs in and out of it all the time. And 2) I put some feeder fish in it. About 50 of them 3 weeks ago and they’ve only ate a few of them. Plenty still live in there surprisingly. They usually in the past have gobbled them up out of the bath tub.

So my theory is, is something is scaring them from the pond. But they’re DUCKS. If it is the frogs and the fishies touching their feet… what kind of duck cares?! Ahh I worked too hard on this pond for them to act this way lol I’m hoping maybe one of you will have a better idea of what’s going on and how to fix it. Thanks!

You say wildlife has taken a liking to the new pond what about turtles? Snapping turtles are a big predator to ducks.
I have examined the pond closely and don’t see anything in there besides fish and frogs(and other little critters), however I may need to drain it to be sure. If there are snapping turtles I’m not sure where they would have came from, although I know they are in our area I don’t live near any large bodies of water such as “real” ponds and lakes, the closest ones are miles away. But I do have a natural creek in our backyard and lots of woods. I knew snapping turtles like deeper water, so I just assumed that I wouldn’t see any snapping turtles in our 6 inch deep creek travel to my little rinky-dink pond.

Might be worth checking it out anyway From what I have read snappers will walk long distances. We're a football field away from the mountain river down below us and its up hill and I found a baby snapping turtle up here at the house.
Thanks I will do that here in a little bit and see what I find!

Hi all, so I recently built a pond for my 4 ducks (7 feet wide, 4.5 feet deep) and the ducks naturally loved it immediately. We couldn’t keep them out while we were building it!

Well as of lately they have been hesitant going in. The past few days they will approach the pond and examine it really closely to which my drake will then rough his feathers up and seem like he signals that it isn’t safe and they all waddle away together. They’ve only been in once in the past week which was yesterday when I threw some tasty treats in. And even then, it took them forever, and when they finally did they were floating around all quiet like, and out of now where they spazzed and came bolting out. Reminded me of a person who touches sea weed in the bottom of the ocean and freaks out lol they haven’t been back in since.

I don’t understand because they have LOVED this pond since the first day. We’ve had it for little over a month now.

The only changes made to the pond since it’s been established is 1) natural wildlife have already taken a liking to it. I see frogs in and out of it all the time. And 2) I put some feeder fish in it. About 50 of them 3 weeks ago and they’ve only ate a few of them. Plenty still live in there surprisingly. They usually in the past have gobbled them up out of the bath tub.

So my theory is, is something is scaring them from the pond. But they’re DUCKS. If it is the frogs and the fishies touching their feet… what kind of duck cares?! Ahh I worked too hard on this pond for them to act this way lol I’m hoping maybe one of you will have a better idea of what’s going on and how to fix it. Thanks!
I suspect a snapping turtle has taken over your pond. You stocked the pantry for a turtle with the fish. but turtles are also partial to duck legs, and ducklings

You can probably feed the fish to your ducks by putting them in a small tub of water near the house
I’ll probably have to do that. When they were smaller and could fit in the tub we would feed them fish that way and they loved it. I couldn’t wait to see their reaction in the pond. They ate a few here and there but overall seemed bored with them. Now it seems it’s turned into fear.
Hey, if my ducks don’t eat them my chickens sure will! They’ve been dying to reach one of those little fish

Back
Top Bottom