• Kind of

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

OreoPlymothRock

Songster
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
Florida
Hello everyone, i need help. My Magpie Ducks will not eat grass. Is it just because i don't see them eating grass? But all they do is eat feed, sleep, swim, and poop. The poop is a little watery, is that normal? Thanks for any advice.

I'm sure they occasionally eat grass but my geese are the only ones that truly graze. If given the opportunity to eat Flock Raiser over grass the ducks almost always pick the flock raiser.

My ducks love to eat grass, weeds, kale and pretty much anything green. It is true that the get most of their feed from pellets (which now I am fermenting) but I can't imagine my ducks not running for the lawn for some salad. I did give them minced grass when they were just tiny ducklings so that might have something to do with it.

Mine eat grass, they literally yank it out.. you can actually hear them tearing it. Mine are all Muscovy, not that i think that would make much of a difference lol

They do have access to feed too but love foraging.

my ducks alwasy eat grass

you can even see the green toungues from the grass they eaten

but as kevins says mine would more then happily choose the pellets over grass given the chance as they do

I don't think mine eat grass. They pull it up... but judging by how much is in the pool every time I dump it, I think it was probably just in their way and had to be pulled up to get to some tasty thing underneath.
They do love the dandelions, though. And low-growing leaves from our fruit trees. The occasional kale or ferny asparagus. The other day their pen was set up in a spot with some grass that had gone to seed, and they were really excited about that, too.

My runners don't eat grass either, at least until they can eat those unbloomed babyrose-bulbs I try to save from them (with very little success so far). Just as Tivona said, they can be teached to eat greens, even to select specific weeds from the grass: I gave them chopped iceberg for weeks daily as a snack, later mixed in some cut leaves of ragweed, Ambrosia artemisiifolia (I'm allergic from it's pollen so it is a great help if they eat it out from the garden when the weed is young).

Ducks search for young specimens of ragweed now, they like it - they learned that it must be something special because I gave it as a treat, only a pinch daily per beak, acting like I'm giving away the crown diamonds or something. Same play with moss. But my runners do not graze and eat greens that much, they search for bugs and ants and snails - the flock walks around several times, talking to each other while hunting. Food (2x pellet, 2x wheat, 1x corn - 5dl for five duck daily) is offered only at lunch, with a little more plus corn at dinner if the night is cold. For breakfast they run around and hunt, insects are slow when the sun barely rose, and best time to catch snails is in the morning dew.

Back
Top Bottom