My ducky gets ornery in the winter. Advice?

the_mal

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 26, 2011
I have a 1 year old Mallard drake, and for the last few winters he has gotten ornery during the winter. He nips and bites me and my room mates around the ankles and feet, but as if bi-polar will happily snuggle with me three minutes later.
I was wondering if anyone else had this problem or what I could do to help end this behavior? I have tried disciplining the way I was told to by other duck owners, giving him more food and water to ensure he isn't hungry or thirsty, and all-around spending more time with him... But nothing seems to be working.

Please help?

Hi,
Sorry, but if he is a year old, how did he get "ornery" for the last few winters?
idunno.gif

He's born in April. So, he was pretty jerky last winter, and it's starting up again now that it's frosting. That's what I meant!
smile.png

Quote:
You are probably stuck playing by his rules. Could be he is growing up and thinking about girls and getting a bit worked up with the hormones. You can't make him nice when he does not want to be, so maybe give him space when he is ornery and take advantage of the nice times and give him attention then. Perhaps the pecking is to let you know he needs his space at that time?

Quote:
That's a good idea. The thing is that he does this a lot when my room mates come in through the front door, so I've been trying to keep him on the other side of the room so he doesn't feel intruded on as much.

Is this a house duck?

I vote for solitary confinement / ignoring when he is being too aggressive. If he wants attention, he needs to be nice.

Does he have an outdoor pen? Perhaps he really is fussy from being too dry or too warm in the house.

Quote:
I live in an apartment for 9 months out of the year, and try to take him outside when I can, but no he is mostly an apartment duck with no pen. When I visit home in the summers he has a pen he spends most of the day in.

I'll try what you said, too. As much as I hate hearing him cry it sounds like a good lesson.

Back
Top Bottom