My Easter Egger Pullet is getting beat up really bad, and I could use some help.

I am having the same problem! I found our Hilda all bloody this morning. I'm looking for suggestions also. If you figure it out please share.

In chicken society, it is important for birds to stand their ground, or give ground and get out of sight of the dominant bird. If you have multiple levels in your run, such as roosts in the run, pallets up on bricks so birds can get on top of it or underneath it. Many pictures of runs that I see, are just an open rectangle, with no where to hide, no where to get away.

When you have discord in a flock, I think it can be a either or problem. Wishing they will get along does not help. So if you do have multiple feed stations, so that when a bird is eating at one, they cannot see a bird eating at another, well then you have a different problem. Chickens are or can be heartless. Sometimes you will get a bully, that if you remove the victim, the bully will pick a new victim. That bird is not fitting in your set up. She will cause a lot of strife in your flock. I always solve problems for the flock, and she would go. However, some birds are victims, and if you remove the bully, a new bird will become the bully to the victim. I have found that often times this bird is not as healthy as I thought, and there is a natural tendency to drive her from the flock.

In either case, I would either do a different set up, or a re-home. Wishing they will all get along seldom works.

Mrs K

That sound horrible!poor baby!Im glad it's a bit better now!

So, My mom does NOT want to quarantine Raven or seperete them.Its been a bit chaotic in the coop right now(Acorn died, Brownie has Crop issues so Shes in and out)So I think that may be Whats causing the problem.Im going to keep a eye on her and see if it all works out.

Good luck, MollieSumshine!

Hi There,

I've got numerous chickens, and almost without fail, my EE are at the bottom of the pecking order. They are very sweet and docile birds. My 10 chicks in the grow out tractor were being kept from food and water by the older chicks, so I went ahead and chased the older chicks out. They are now fully integrated with the big girls and the EE chicks are eating and drinking without any problems.

Most likely, you will have to make two living arrangements for your birds and separate the bullied from the bullies.

Good luck! It may yet still work itself out, but I understand your not wanting her to be picked on like that. It bothers me too.

Back
Top Bottom