My entire flock of 55 have been killed or injured...crushed!

When we set up our chicken coop and run last year we decided we would make a fort to deter any beginnings of attacks. We live in the woods and lots of predators. And as the previous member mentioned we did the electric fence, plus 6' fence and then bird netting over the top because of hawks. We also put 4 of those predator flasing solar lights (forget their name). that are dusk to dawn. Between all of that we have not had one problem. I am a dog lover, but those two needed to die, and if you call the sherrifs office you might be in trouble depending where you live. The fact that they are dead is the main thing because they would keep coming back. I am very sorry for you and your son, I know you probably just keep re-living the scene and I hope you can get some more and back to enjoying your chickens again. Don't let those terrible dogs take your joy away.

So sorry for your losses! Hugs. You can give crushed aspirin in water, vitamins and electrolytes to help the survivors recover. We use welded wire over chicken wire with a space in between to help keep coons from reaching in. So far that has worked. We lost chickens and quail for a year until we figured out which dogs were responsible and shot them. The owner refused to tie or kennel them, said one wasn't hers she had just been feeding it for a year. Go ahead and shoot them, she said she had no use for them! How sad.Since a child is involved, I would strongly recommend getting more birds to fill the void. Good luck.

Thanks for the encouragment. We have cleaned feathers and the destructive mess from all the coops today. There were even chunks of chicken meat we had to clean up. The sun is shining and we have a handful of limping buff orpintons that we let out ( only breed we have a few of left ) and they have injuries and limped over to an area of Sun and are relaxing. The wounds they have are worse than I thought but I am going to put antibiotic ointment on them and hope they can survive. Through the heartbreak and anger we are moving on. The time of work and different breeds can never be replaced because those birds had names and personalities but we are looking forward to spring and just placed an order for 50 chicks. Some of the feed and seed places are about to receive their first orders of chicks and I think taking my son and daughter to pick out some is also going to help. Its just going to take some time to get back to his egg selling business but like you all said, you have to learn the lesson and pick up and carry on. Maybe this time next year his egg business can be going strong again. He is raking and shoveling coops with his dad as I write this. I am proud he is ready to jump back in! I hope we can learn to love our new flock as much as we did our other ones. They will be missed and always remembered! God Bless you all who have posted!

ReplyQuote Multi

Back
Top Bottom