1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my family wont eat "home grown" eggs........

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by imama2many, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Zinniah

Zinniah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2015
    Texas
    I like appps idea, it's a great idea! Give it go. I think they would fall for it, if it fails then sell them.

2. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    I'm 54 and old school. You'll eat what's on your plate (that I grew) or go hungry, I don't care.

1 person likes this.
  3. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I recommend you insist on those snotty kids of yours writing a detailed essay describing every single reason they can think of why they believe store bought eggs are superior to farm fresh eggs. If their reasons outnumber your reasons why farm fresh eggs are superior, then and only then will you buy them eggs to eat from the store.

1 person likes this.
  4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    You could show them pictures of how commercial chickens are kept that produce the store bought eggs. Compare them to how your chickens are raised. Do they feel good about supporting the companies that keep those chickens in tiny cages?

Sometimes a little guilt can go a long way.

And if guilt doesn't work, then I say if they want store bought eggs, they can use their own gas, time and money to go buy some. And cook them. And clean up the dishes afterwards. I wouldn't support their illogical bias in any way, shape or form.

3 people like this.
  5. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    I agree if they want store bought eggs tell them to go buy them .. with their own money.
    also agree if they dont eat what is there.... they go hungry..... spoiled....
    Its too bad more spoiled AMERICANS cant change places with the many hungry of this world......
    what a wasteful society this is...
    take care and good luck

6. BDutch

BDutch Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2015
    the Netherlands
    My Coop
    Just show you're family how the cheap eggs from the shop are produced. After looking at this video, they probably won't ever eat the factory eggs if they have a choice.

A why to eat byc eggs report on youtube from all over the world:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  7. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    I am a picky eater too. I know my logic is not right, but I grew up finding great comfort in "sterilized" mass produced grocery store food. Anyways, what changed my attitude towards store bought eggs was seeing how the egg farm hens (battery hens) are treated. Show your family the conditions the poor battery hens are kept, and let them then decide if they want eggs from those hens (which often are over a month old before making it to the grocery store), or fresh eggs from happy chickens.

1 person likes this.
  8. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    That would be terribly frustrating, especially your mother, who should really know better. type in "factory farms chickens" and you will see where those store bought eggs really come from.
    I agree with ignoring their nonsense, I just would not buy eggs and sell your extras. If they will not eat the eggs it is their loss.

9. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    Agree 100%.

10. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    The bottom line is that most people prefer not to know where their food comes from. They'd be perfectly fine imagining it made by scientists in a lab, but are grossed out at the thought of it coming from organic life forms that eat, breath, poo, and bleed. It just takes education, and time, but they will soon be spreading the word too once they understand the reality of it.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by