my family wont eat "home grown" eggs........

imama2many

In the Brooder
Oct 14, 2015
No. Utah
So I have 4 hens (only 3 so far are laying) and my kids are freaked out with the "idea" of eating "home grown" eggs... my oldest son's 19th birthday was yesterday and he wanted a big birthday breakfast and his ONE request was to make the eggs from store bought eggs... we have a large family (6 kids, plus mom/dad)... the whole pint of getting chickens was to eventually not have to buy store eggs.... I had 14 eggs from my hens... I bought 18 store bought and used 6 "home grown" eggs for scrambled eggs... my husband is totally fine with eating the eggs.. in fact, liked them (fried the day before) very much... but AFTER my kids ate them, I told them... they were FURIOUS! hahaha... then later that day I offered my mom/dad some eggs because (at this point), I'm getting 3 eggs a day (hopefully the 4th will begin producing any day now).... so I didn't want the eggs I already have to go bad... MY MOM REFUSED THEM!!!! She said they kind of freak her out!!! ???? What is the deal... NOW... I have always bought white eggs and these are all brown eggs, but other than that, there is NO difference... even the yolk is the same color (I expected them to be a little darker yellow/orangish).... the funniest part is... I don't eat eggs... haven't for 25 years! BUT... usually, Saturday morning breakfast with 6 kids and a husband is a flat of eggs GONE... and now no one will eat them! ??? NOw what do I do?

They'll get over it eventually. It really doesn't make much sense and if you asked them why fresh eggs are freaky compared to month old eggs in the store they wont be able to tell you other than "I've seen the chicken that laid it."

The eggs your birds lay are perfectly fresh for weeks sitting on the kitchen counter in a basket if not washed. They come with a powder coating that protects it from bacteria. If you wash them then they should be put in the fridge and will be edible for months. I never wash my eggs and unless stockpiling for a known upcoming molt or dead of winter laying strike never put them in the fridge. When my basket is getting full I take most if not all and hard boil. Make an egg salad and keep the rest in fridge for snack food. Growing teens usually like salt on a hard boiled egg for snacks.

So I have 4 hens (only 3 so far are laying) and my kids are freaked out with the "idea" of eating "home grown" eggs... my oldest son's 19th birthday was yesterday and he wanted a big birthday breakfast and his ONE request was to make the eggs from store bought eggs... we have a large family (6 kids, plus mom/dad)... the whole pint of getting chickens was to eventually not have to buy store eggs.... I had 14 eggs from my hens... I bought 18 store bought and used 6 "home grown" eggs for scrambled eggs... my husband is totally fine with eating the eggs.. in fact, liked them (fried the day before) very much... but AFTER my kids ate them, I told them... they were FURIOUS! hahaha... then later that day I offered my mom/dad some eggs because (at this point), I'm getting 3 eggs a day (hopefully the 4th will begin producing any day now).... so I didn't want the eggs I already have to go bad... MY MOM REFUSED THEM!!!! She said they kind of freak her out!!! ???? What is the deal... NOW... I have always bought white eggs and these are all brown eggs, but other than that, there is NO difference... even the yolk is the same color (I expected them to be a little darker yellow/orangish).... the funniest part is... I don't eat eggs... haven't for 25 years! BUT... usually, Saturday morning breakfast with 6 kids and a husband is a flat of eggs GONE... and now no one will eat them! ??? NOw what do I do?

Wow, well i would refuse to buy store eggs, so they eat the eggs or don't eat eggs at all. You can sell them on Craigslist or/and put a cute little sign in your front yard, an put some cheaper signs on telephone posts. try about $4 /dozen

Hold your ground! Don't buy eggs. Eventually your family will break down and (hopefully) eat the eggs, but don't make a big deal about it.

Wow, well i would refuse to buy store eggs, so they eat the eggs or don't eat eggs at all. You can sell them on Craigslist or/and put a cute little sign in your front yard, an put some cheaper signs on telephone posts. try about $4 /dozen
Good idea! If they won't eat them sell them!

I grew up in the country, my wife grew up in the country and we've raised our children in the country. I have the opposite problem from my kids. If you were to put a dozen store bought eggs in the fridge, they'd still be there this time next year. They want our eggs, our beef and our vegetables. Not store bought.

If you want to put them into total panic, tell them you've been providing their milk for years.
lau.gif

So sorry for that. Forgive me lord.

Quoted wrong post.
I can't seem to fix this shirt.

At 19 it's time for a sensible conversation about there being no difference. Your mum too, it's just stupid as an adult to eat an egg out of one chooks but not another but I can say that because I struggle to eat fertilised ones but I know that's stupid too lol. But as an adult I make myself get past that silly hang up and just suck it up lol

I would start baking with them perhaps to get them off to a gentle start.

Or find a brand of bought egg the same colour as yours and make sure they saw the colour in store so they don't think it's a trick. Then unbeknown to them continue to refill the cartons with your own eggs all the while continuing to complain they won't eat your fresh ones and keep a seperate pile for dad of "your eggs" Silliness earns deviousness ;-)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom