My Favorite Chicken - Sapphire Blue Gem

SunnyBluz

In the Brooder
Feb 14, 2020
I see folks wondering what the breed of their chicken/s may be... if they are a beautiful soft grey, with black legs and black beak.
Our Sapphire blues are extremely gentle, timid... but people friendly... and are heavy layers.
I have seen them referred to as:
Plymouth Blue Rock/Sapphire Gem
Ours were a local Farm Store Purchase.
Just a beautiful breed of chicken!

I know there are several birds out there looking very similar to Sapphire Gems that have different genetics and I ordered my Sapphire Gems from a hatchery so I'm trusting they are what they are supposed to be. :fl
Which are wonderful, friendly, confident, funny, and the most puppy like birds I've had yet. I've had nearly all the heritage breeds at one time or another and there are some I like much more than others, but currently I'm totally smitten with my Gems.

:welcome they are a very attractive bird. How productive are they ?
Mine started on Jan 9, about 18 weeks, with the typical smaller eggs but already I'm getting nearly full sized large eggs and I'm guessing these girls are going to easily be 5+ eggs a week layers. Or right up there with RIR, NHR, and Rocks.

I have had her since last Thursday and have received 7 very large eggs. Don't have a scale to weigh yet but bigger than large eggs I get at the grocery store. My hands are pretty large.

Attachments

• IMG_20200228_111602903.jpg
    IMG_20200228_111602903.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20200227_145556761_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200227_145556761_HDR.jpg
    926.8 KB · Views: 21
Update on my 10 girls, who first started Jan 9.
All 10 had started laying by the end of Jan, and for the last three weeks or so I've been getting 8 to 10 large eggs daily with a few double yolkers a week.

Oh, and they are still the same lovable goofballs that they were at 2 months old, or as I like to call them...my feathered puppies.

Back
Top Bottom