My favorite german recipe!

hypnofrogstevie

chick magnet
16 Years
Jul 12, 2007
Newport, MI
since we got some german in us my grandpa used to fix some german food.

Today i am going to share one of the recipes.

Stuffed peppers: If you have a couple of those big pots used to slow cook on the stove this will be perfect for over 14 peppers for a big family.

9 or more green bell peppers
salt to taste
2 pounds Ground beef or ground buffalo
White rice
Tomatoe sause
onion flakes
garlic powder
1 egg unless its a bantam egg then 3

first get a mixing bowl and add the meat, rice, egg, a little bit of salt, onion flakes and garlic powder.cut off the stem and cut off the top of the green peppers. Take out the seeds and then stuff the meat mixture in it. fill the peppers to the top. Then fix on the lids. Add a little tomato sauce on the bottom of the pan. Then take the filled peppers and put them into the sauce. then add sauce to cover the bottom peppers. keep doing this till you hit the top. Put it on low to let them cook through the whole day. If you do it at night you can leave it on overnight. Poke the peppers with a fork. its they fell hard they still need to cook. if the fork goes through easily then they are done.

these go fast and I love em
smile.png

Last edited:
That sounds similar to how my mom made them and her mom taught her to make them that way too. There are strong German ties in the family. It's a good recipe, the only thing I changed was adding more seasonings to the meat and sometimes bread crumbs for a more "italian" meatball flavor, everything else is the same but I cook mine in a crockpot.
smile.png

We usually make sure there are enough left overs for my hubby to take some to work for lunch the next day, otherwise no left overs here either.

my gram makes them too, add the breadcrumbs as a binder maybe a cup? and pepper, she makes big meatballs and buts them in between for those that dont like the peppers.

Speaking of german food, ever had scrapple? Seems not alot of people out of this area have. Big german/dutch population here

I've never had scrapple but i've seen other postings about it on the forum. I'd give it a try.

Sauerkraut and saugage is another thing I cook in the crockpot on low all day. I just pray I don't get unexpected company when the saurkraut is cooking. It makes the whole house smell bad.
wink.png

scrapple is nothing but pig and its real good. Kinda like raw summer sausage lol. my moms boyfriend hates german food so he has to have an alternate lol. We also have a secret family recipe that I cant share with anyone lol. its really really good!

Back
Top Bottom