1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My favorite part of incubating.....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Subirdban Farm, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Subirdban Farm

Subirdban Farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2007
    Hanover PA
    is candling. I love to see the veins in the first week and then watch the embryo's develop over time. At the end you can see the chicks in there wiggling and moving. It just amazes me how it all happens in such a short amount of time.

Nothing brings you back to the creator faster than the miracle of life.

2. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    Me too! Its almost addictive. But I love seeing the quick change from just a few veins around a blop, to this huge substand inside an egg in a matter of days. As they say in Massachusets, "Its Wicked Awesome!"

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I love candling too! If I'm lucky I can see toes!!

4. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I play the guessing game which is bad I know. I just put the eggs in and add water and wait for 21 days. No egg explosions yet "knocking on wood"

5. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I have duck eggs in the bator now and they are day 10 today - I candled them on day 9 - just because LOL - saw the veins - no movement - no big deal but when I candled them last night I saw three very active little babies [​IMG]

i love how fast that happens one day no movement - than all of sudden little wigglies in there

it is so cool

Julie

6. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I can't wait to candle just because I want to see if my shipped eggs are viable. I also have 23 eggs in there, so I don't need exploding eggies everywhere!

7. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I was a little nervous at first to candle but it is pretty neat watching them develop.

8. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    me to

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by