My First Chicken Coop & Run -

I looooooooooooove it...

I have this section I was eyeing in Jacksonville...that could use a coop similiar...lol...

Awesome job, and most importantly, the chickens seem to love it as well.
They look very happy and content!

Thank you for your responses. I will take some pictures inside the coop. I know I over built the inside and the base of the coop as I wanted to keep my chickens safe. I built it so safe that I left the small store purchased coop inside the run. That will be my next project to take it out for my next purchase of chickens. Thanks again and I found this site to have plenty of information. The pipe is metal and it is a winter tent frame. We use the cover on the run for shade and rainy days. Most of the time our chickens are free ranging on our property. They wander around most of the day with plenty of protection being provided by my children and my four labradors who protect our chickens from predators. This picture is before the roof was complete and my new chickens were not big enough for my first six chickens. Now everyone is together and my girls enjoy being together.
17033_chickens_023.jpg

Last edited:
Cool coop.
smile.png

Is that a brooder box outside the coop? If so, Are you going to put it inside for the winter? I need a brooder in my coop
barnie.gif

Last edited:
I have seen people put the brick or walking stones around the coop why do people do that .That is a great coop for a first one. Sure blows my construction skills all to BEEP...

Besides having the chicken wire 2 feet under ground, I placed patio block in an effort to keep predators from digging under the coop run. The coop has chicken wire on the ground and additional chicken wire under a solid floor. Double protection just in case I also placed 2x10's around the base of the chicken coop. Just learned that it is too heavy to move. So I will be layering wood chips with haw in the chicken run. After reading several posts I added some 1x12x10's across the bottom of the chicken run as it seems most feel chicken wire is not that safe. Installed a radio with a talk show program as one post feels that it keeps predators away. I will do everything I can to protect my girls. Maybe a 12' moat next! My Wife would have me sleeping out with the chickens then.
lol.png

Awesome coop and run! Is that an electric heater base under the waterer? Just wondering cuz I got one but I'm afraid to use it cuz of fire hazaard. I was thinking of returning it. Have you used one before successfully?

Back
Top Bottom