My first chicks arriving tomorrow!

farmerwomanwannabe

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
Maryland
Ive got six different chicks on their way arriving tomorrow! My husband and I are so excited. We have a brooder setup in the bathroom, Im adjusting the height now to get the right temp, paper towels on the bottom, starter feed, shallow water bowl, (chick grit and pine shavings for when they are ready) and coop being build in the backyard. I think we are ready! Taking a half day off work tomorrow so I can pick them up from the post office. Cant wait to see them!

The water dish i bought is one of those where there is a circle and a jar that attaches on top. It looks to be made for chicks and I have seen a ton of them on here, but it still seems a little deep to me, so I think I might just fill it up very shallow and see how they do tomorrow before I add the jar of water to the top. But when I go back to work on Wednesday i will want the jar on top so they dont run out of water or spill it. Im doing the same with the food, until I see how they do with it. Should i need to add marbles to the water dish?

Last edited:
I ordered them from My Pet Chicken. That is one of the few places where you can order a minimum of three (four was the minimum in my case). It depends where you live.

But the customer service is great. They dont send you any tracking info but I wanted to see if they shipped today so i would know if they were arriving tomorrow, so I just called and they were really nice and gave me a tracking number.

Last edited:
They are coming in the mail
smile.png

Wooohoooo!!! I got mine Saturday!!! Some advise if I could....never mind the water bowl...get a rabit bottle..mine learned to use it in under 2 hrs and guess what...no mess!!
wee.gif
I have 7 babies so I did get a second bottle since once one decided to drink...they all feel the need to drink also!!!

Best of luck..post pics pls
pop.gif

hmm it may be too late for me to make a change now. I know I used to have one of those little water bottles around, (tried it on my parakeet, she refused to use it)....

Since you already bought the chick waterer... It is good if you can put marbles, aquarium rocks or pebbles in the waterer because it makes it shallow while still allowing acess to the full bottle of water. Have fun with your babies!

Back
Top Bottom