My first coop cleaning

Tstraub

Crowing
Apr 6, 2023
Bluffton, Indiana
Today was the first time I had to change out the bedding in the coop. I’m doing the deep litter method and it has been great. Today I did the fall cleaning only took an hour or so. Just backed the trailer up to the door. Then raked out the bulk of it. Followed it up with a broom. The pulled the roost bars out and power washed them. Easy peasy
IMG_3359.jpeg
IMG_3358.jpeg
IMG_3361.jpeg
IMG_3363.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3361.jpeg
    IMG_3361.jpeg
    787.1 KB · Views: 5
Awesome! It looks like you have a very easy setup, too. The trailer must be convenient. How often do you do this cleaning? Once a year?

Awesome! It looks like you have a very easy setup, too. The trailer must be convenient. How often do you do this cleaning? Once a year?
I built the coop in April so it’s been roughly 6 months. I didn’t smell bad or anything I just wanted to do it while the weather was still nice. And I wanted all that chicken manure to spread on the garden so it can break down over the winter and hopefully add nutrients to the soil.

Cool! I think you can go much longer without cleaning it out. My chickens don't sleep inside their coop, so the shavings there stay clean for a REALLY long time, so I just transfer it to their run, where they mix it up with everything. I use what's decompose in the run as material for the garden.

Cool! I think you can go much longer without cleaning it out. My chickens don't sleep inside their coop, so the shavings there stay clean for a REALLY long time, so I just transfer it to their run, where they mix it up with everything. I use what's decompose in the run as material for the garden.
Thanks, I might try letting it go longer next time. It really wasn’t bad at all but I wanted a fresh start as the weather gets cold because I want to avoid needing to clean it during winter. Cold weather and snow make everything more difficult.

Back
Top Bottom