My first Coop...I hope they like it. What do you think?

welcome-byc.gif

Your chickens look very happy in your coop. I echo the sentiments about hardware cloth versus chicken wire. But that's an adorable coop - pretty darned good for someone surprised with chickens by a wife!

Coop looks great! I suggest, like others, change out your chicken wire for hardware cloth. Also, I would turn your roosts broad side up. It gives the birds more to set on at night while they're sleeping and they don't have to grab so hard with their toes. Also, in the winter, (don't know your location) having a wide-side-up 2x4 roost will make it easier for your birds to cover thier toes and avoid frostbite.
wink.png

The Dimensions:

The Coop itself is 8'x'4 (not including the nesting boxes). It stands almost 7' tall, but the inside itself is 4' tall.

The run is 15' x 8'.

We have 11 Hens (lost one chick our first night). I thought that would be enough space in the run, it's about 11 square feet per hen outside. Also, when they're sleeping in the coop at night, they all sleep in the nesting boxes. It's kind of funny, but they have a ton of space inside, and they don't use it at all.

I'm going to look into getting some hardware cloth. that's a good idea. Do you think I need to cover the entire area with it, or only a certain height with the cloth?

I do lock the coop up every single night for added protection! I live in NH, and it seems like around 8:00pm every single night like clockwork they all file in and settle down for the night. I actually have a short video I took of them all outside doing their thing, then they all just decide to go to bed!

Quote:
I don't have to do anything to get them to pose like that. As soon as I open the back door on the coop they all come in to see what I'm up to. I just have to point the camera and snap the pictures. I think they're used to me coming over with treats, so now they come see me every time I come out.

Quote:
Yes, I'm going to do this over this weekend! I've been reading a lot about what to do in the winter-time, and I have seen several posts saying to flip the roost broad side up. This will be an easy fix
smile.png
I was thinking about adding another roost in there too so they have some options. they seem to really like jumping up and down from level to level on their outside roost.

Back
Top Bottom