My first cull yesterday....

chefchick

Songster
10 Years
Jun 2, 2011
Well, I finally got up the nerve to send three of my boys off to freezer camp, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. DH and the youngest daughter did the actual killing (they are both hunters anyway), but even watching that wasn't the horrible traumatic experience I thought it would be. We did make a couple mistakes.. like either the water was too hot or we swished one too much because the skin seemed too fragile and weirdly thick, and some of my pieces weren't grocery store perfect, but in all it wasn't bad. Most of it went to the freezer, but I have some soaking in buttermilk for fried chicken for dinner tonight. I just wanted to say thanks to all of those who post one here and the great advice you give. This would have been a disater without your help
smile.png

Glad to see your post! I want to learn how to do this too, so that I can process the extra roosters I hatch, and my husband says, "Oh you can never do that, you'll HATE it!"

I wouldn't feel bad about culling if I knew the chicken was going to be eaten.....

I am getting close to the same predicament. I hatched 7 birds June 1st and I am 98% sure 3 are roosters. At what point did you decide it was time for freezer camp? I look at my boys right now and they do not seem big enough. I live in town though and I do not want to get to the point they start sounding off. I have light sussex, so I do know they have a little growing to do yet.

Back
Top Bottom