My first egg!

Huskerchickens

Chirping
8 Years
May 24, 2011
I finally got my first egg from my little flock! If I add it all up I got that egg for the bargin price of around $400
smile.png

It tasted pretty good, and my two year old flat gobbled it up and asked for more.

Now here's the question. I have two nesting boxes in their coop and I recently put some golf balls in there to see if they could figure out what they were supposed to do. Most of the day they free-range in my garden, and I found the egg in a little nest in our compost heap in the corner. So now how do I get them to start using the nesting boxes? I suppose I could stop letting them out till at least the one currently laying has to learn about the nesting box.

I just let them lay where they wanted, mine totally ignored the nest boxes too. As long as I can access wherever it is they're laying, it's all good!
gig.gif

Congrats on the first egg
clap.gif
I wasn't even home at the time mine started, so I didn't get a taste of their first eggs.

Most of mine have found their way to the nesting boxes within a week. The first several eggs can surprise them, and once they get into the routine of laying, they will be able to make it to the nest. I've had first eggs under the roost, in the run, under the feeder, etc and they all made it to the nests.

All it will take is 1 girl laying there and the rest will follow.

Ok, so today was egg number two! When I went out this morning to let them out the new layer ran over to the corner of the garden where the compost box is and started looking for a way in, so I figured she was ready to lay another egg. I picked her up and put her in the nest box inside the coop, but she immediately hopped up and ran back to the compost box. So I just set her in there and she did her thing. I suppose the best thing is to just keep trying to put her in the nesting box and see if she figures it out after a few more tries?

Back
Top Bottom