My first Fox attack that ended in a kill

Some great chat here! We have 18 acres out here, so no problems with neighbours. Anymore. Started just having some pullets for eggs, then it just snow-balled from there! There is no such thing as cheap meat, that's for sure! This is all just for fun, & knowing more about where our food comes from. Working to become more self sufficient. We do like our technology though! I started with an LG incubator & egg turning tray. It is a still air unit. Pretty basic, but it is tricky to stabilize heat & humidity. I'm early retired, so I'm able to monitor it throughout the day. With my next (& hopefully last) chick order, I ordered a new Hovabator Genesis incubator. Just plug in, add water and eggs & done! So I've heard. It will be my back up in case I don't get a broody hen this year. Yeah, butchering can be tough at first. It does get easier & more efficient the more you do it. It is so worth it to us! Flavour is great! My birds have a fantastic life until that day. A traffic cone is used to hang them upside down. They seem to relax in this position. A good sharp knife to slit the throat, & they barely know what's happening. They bleed out quickly & quietly. Very humane, or I wouldn't do it. I prepared myself for this journey by watching lots of YouTube videos! They helped! Besides, we spend enough money raising them, there's no one nearby to do it for us. We built a Whizbang plucker last year. Best thing ever!!! We did 24 birds over a weekend. They are loosely bagged and aged in the refrigerator for 2-3 days, then vacuum sealed & stored in the big freezer. Extra roosters make fantastic coq au vin! So yummy! There's my 2
pennies for now!

Some great chat here! We have 18 acres out here, so no problems with neighbours. Anymore. Started just having some pullets for eggs, then it just snow-balled from there! There is no such thing as cheap meat, that's for sure! This is all just for fun, & knowing more about where our food comes from. Working to become more self sufficient. We do like our technology though! I started with an LG incubator & egg turning tray. It is a still air unit. Pretty basic, but it is tricky to stabilize heat & humidity. I'm early retired, so I'm able to monitor it throughout the day. With my next (& hopefully last) chick order, I ordered a new Hovabator Genesis incubator. Just plug in, add water and eggs & done! So I've heard. It will be my back up in case I don't get a broody hen this year. Yeah, butchering can be tough at first. It does get easier & more efficient the more you do it. It is so worth it to us! Flavour is great! My birds have a fantastic life until that day. A traffic cone is used to hang them upside down. They seem to relax in this position. A good sharp knife to slit the throat, & they barely know what's happening. They bleed out quickly & quietly. Very humane, or I wouldn't do it. I prepared myself for this journey by watching lots of YouTube videos! They helped! Besides, we spend enough money raising them, there's no one nearby to do it for us. We built a Whizbang plucker last year. Best thing ever!!! We did 24 birds over a weekend. They are loosely bagged and aged in the refrigerator for 2-3 days, then vacuum sealed & stored in the big freezer. Extra roosters make fantastic coq au vin! So yummy! There's my 2
pennies for now!

The safety cone is a good idea that way they dont flap their wings at the very end.:) I was interested in those pluckers they look really cool and super quick

Yeah, the cones are great! In my mind, I know they're dead, but the flapping is still unnerving to me. Our first plucker was a homemade one. Found YouTube video how to build one with a power drill. It's ok for a couple of birds, but nothing beats a drum model for sheer volume plucking. Unfortunately, the drum style is a bit pricey if you order the Whizbang parts. $600-700. Again, (gotta love those more resourceful!) you can find resources to build your own cheaper version. Depends on how handy you are & what materials you have cheap access to. I google everything!!! Since we came from the city over 3 years ago, we're not that handy at building stuff. I sure respect & admire those who can!

Yeah, many things aren't as cheap done at home. But some are (some gardening is cost effective, I've found). Yeah, it's the joy of doing it yourself - teaching self reliance to the next generation.. And knowing where your food comes from and what it is ("Soilent Green - it's PEOPLE!!!! :tongue (old sci fi movie quote)).

If you incubate you also need a BROODER - i.e. A box w/ a light for warmth. They're in there for many weeks' inside your house. Unless you have a temperature controlled barn. Or something.. But they are very cute.. Also, you can handle them easily this way (daily), and they can get very docile - some even friendly, as in riding on your shoulder like a pirate's parrot (use chicken diaper or wear a "cape"). :lol:. Some roos might still get ornery later on.

A broody hen handles all that work for you! But broodiness has been bred out of many modern lines. See Henderson's chicken chart - google it. Good basic breed info.

Good to hear you got the booger. It was a concerted BYC capture..lol

gig.gif
Ya it really was I am really thankful to everyone for their help and advice. Its nice to have other people to talk to about this kinda stuff that have been there before. If everyone liked closer I would have a BBQ to thank you all
highfive.gif

I like Roxy!. Are stores there really clean OUT of 22 ammo??

Well, I think I know why, but I shouldn't get any more into politics.. I have already been grousing too much.:rolleyes:

Over the years, I've shot black powder and all sort of ordinance, up to a 375 H&H (safari rifle - it did crazy things to paint cans full of water).

Don't shoot as much now because ranges are silly expensive here, and restrictions on public land shooting have gotten tough. Not politics - just facts.

I used to hand pluck ducks and geese (and other wild birds) we shot.. Yeah, $600 on a plucker is a lot.. Some do jumbo Cornish x cuz they are easy to pluck - when you harvest at 6-8 weeks, feathers are undeveloped.

Back
Top Bottom