My first hatch, one different looking quail.

Torghn

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 22, 2011
I'm party way through my first hatch. So far 24 Coturnix quail have hatch, 23 look almost identical and one looks like a golden. Are these a different breed or just a different color variation? I'm 50% certain it hatch from one of the few blue/white eggs I revived.

The Eggs:

77655_img_0954.jpg

The bird:

77655_img_0996.jpg

The others:

77655_img_1006.jpg

In 2 weeks the yellow will be white but retain the spot, the other wild colored birds may pick on it. They did mine. It then discovered it was a roo and became kinda of a a$$. It now awaits its turn on the rotisserie.... Bill

Personally I've never had problems with the whites getting picked on.

The yellow with brown spot is probably an English White, either way, it is a white bird. It's pretty much impossible to tell if a CHICK is a jumbo or a pharaoh-sized bird, that's based mostly on adult weight
smile.png

If they get a long will the white breed with the others? Since I only have one I don't really want to set up a pen just for it.

Quote:
YOU BETCHA
thumbsup.gif

THEY ARE ALL COTURNIX, JUST DIFFERENT COLORED
idunno.gif

X2

Some coturnix mature faster than others, and it is my opinion that any aggression noticed against a bird of a different color has nothing to do with it's color, simply it's sex, or a natural pecking order.

It takes an effort for me to sex whites/Rosetta coturnix, but a roo can spot a rival roo, no matter what the color. They can do this without either vent, or beer sexing.

Quote:
YOU BETCHA
thumbsup.gif

THEY ARE ALL COTURNIX, JUST DIFFERENT COLORED
idunno.gif

X2

Some coturnix mature faster than others, and it is my opinion that any aggression noticed against a bird of a different color has nothing to do with it's color, simply it's sex, or a natural pecking order.

It takes an effort for me to sex whites/Rosetta coturnix, but a roo can spot a rival roo, no matter what the color. They can do this without either vent, or beer sexing.

MAYBE WE ALL NEED ROO GOGGLES FOR SEXING?
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom