My First Rooster, Tony. Mega Pics!

Connorrm

Songster
13 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Capital District, NY
I always wanted to raise chickens. I watched so many videos about the horrible hatcheries and always sort of winced when I'd crack an egg. So, this year I finally decided it was time to add chickens to the homestead!

I had done all my research, planned, built, and had everything done first! I was so excited! I decided to go with TSC simply because I wasn't ready to mail order my own, so I figured I'd let them deal with what could potentially go wrong. I ended up getting 6 speckled Sussex, 5 "Red pullets". Anyway, I was hoping that I would get at least one roo from the straight run Sp. Sussex.

So, I watch eagerly as my chicks acclimate to home:

IMAG0184.jpg

Then I decide that was a ridiculously bad idea, so I put them into a 20 sq ft brooder that I built:

IMAG0195.jpg

All the while, I'm eagerly watching one chick hoping it's a roo. None of my Speckles are showing any maleness to them except this one:

IMAG0182.jpg

So, I decided to bond with him just incase he's a Roo:

IMAG0211.jpg

But, they were getting soooo big! It was time to move them to their big home! I was so worried that first night, especially about Tony.
IMAG0235.jpg

Though, Tony bonded. The second the door opened he'd run right to me !

IMAG0256-1.jpg

IMAG0254.jpg

And this morning I heard for the first time since he hatched on 4/23/11 Tony prove that he really was almost all grown up. He crowed. I ran outside and he was strutting around as soon as I opened the coop. He's very pleased. And so am I. I love this stinking rooster!

IMAG0034-1.jpg

I wondering how much Tony will change? He's got these intermittent dark beetle green feathers I just love! I think he's handsome even if he's just hatchery stock. His crow is a little weak, but that will change!

I'm glad to hear that Sp. Sussex lay large eggs. I heard they lay medium and only lay fair. I'm hoping that mine will be pretty consistent. The girls are pretty too! I pick up Tony and pet him everyday. I'm hoping he won't turn all aggressive like I've read so many horror stories about.

I have two Sp sussex, Marylyn M and Audrey H, marylyn is kinda a pain she lays well and nice brown eggs but hates to be disturbed, if she does she leaves the nest. Then there is audrey, she is very small about the size of a silkie and lays a light brown egg thats the size of a silkie egg, she has so much personality tho and i love her so much.

Oh that's great! and you only ended up with one roo? no way... you got totally lucky if that's the case.
roll.png
keep it up with him! he is bonding with you, but just wait until he gets him 'manly man' about him. Mine loves me to death. would protect me from anything in the world. BUT he will kill my DH or any other male that comes around his girls. l
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom