My fish died...

gurooh

Songster
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
New York
Today I had a friend over, and I went to show her my goldfish. When we got up to my room, my fish was dead. I took the tank down to my mom and showed her the fish. I didn't know how it had died. R.I.P. Bubbles the goldfish...I will always love you.

sorry about the goldfish
sad.png

Thank you guys! I have another fish...he's got a 1 gallon tank and is a Betta fish. His name is Hector and he's got 1 white streak on his fin. Bubbles was pink!

Quote:
Just so you know, bettas are tropical fish and need warmer than room temperature water. They make 7.5 watt aquarium heaters and what would work for your 1 gallon. In addition, since a 1 gallon cannot be cycled easily, you will need to do a 100% water change once a week to prevent ammonia levels from getting to high. High ammonia results in burned fins, gills, general stress, and death. And a betta kept in unheated water is listless, less colorful, stressed, and won't thrive.

Hate to say it, if you were keeping your goldfish in a 1 gallon, there is little wonder he died. I am not trying to be insensitive, but goldfish, even fancy ones, need huge aquariums with large amounts of filtration and water circulation to be kept healthy. They produce a lot of waste. Goldfish seem 'healthy' for so long in tiny bowls just because they are incredibly resilient fish. The stocking level for fancy goldfish is 20 gallons for the first fish, and 10 gallons for the second (and since they are social fish, they need to be kept in a pair at least for optimal health). Comet or 'common' goldfish need even MORE space, and really should only be kept in large ponds since they can grow over a foot long.

i like what stacykins has told you. not insensitive..... informitive.. goldfish tho cheep are almost as hard to keep as tropical fish. they produce very high amounts of ammonia. and also they dont have stomics so you have to feed them often (little amounts) also 1 gallon tank is way to small to be keeping ANYthing in. they are fish and need room to swim. 10 gallons is even a small tank. im sorry about your fish. i had a bad case of ick some how and lost half my tank
sad.png
any pet no matter how small it sad when they leave us. i hope stacykins and i gave you enough information to help get you started on the right track.

Last edited:
Quote:
Just so you know, bettas are tropical fish and need warmer than room temperature water. They make 7.5 watt aquarium heaters and what would work for your 1 gallon. In addition, since a 1 gallon cannot be cycled easily, you will need to do a 100% water change once a week to prevent ammonia levels from getting to high. High ammonia results in burned fins, gills, general stress, and death. And a betta kept in unheated water is listless, less colorful, stressed, and won't thrive.

Hate to say it, if you were keeping your goldfish in a 1 gallon, there is little wonder he died. I am not trying to be insensitive, but goldfish, even fancy ones, need huge aquariums with large amounts of filtration and water circulation to be kept healthy. They produce a lot of waste. Goldfish seem 'healthy' for so long in tiny bowls just because they are incredibly resilient fish. The stocking level for fancy goldfish is 20 gallons for the first fish, and 10 gallons for the second (and since they are social fish, they need to be kept in a pair at least for optimal health). Comet or 'common' goldfish need even MORE space, and really should only be kept in large ponds since they can grow over a foot long.

my betta lived in room temp water for 4 years.
hu.gif

Quote:

hu.gif

Congrats, but that doesn't change the fact that they are still tropical fish and room temperature is too cold for them to be healthy. Thailand is not a temperate location
roll.png

Quote:

hu.gif

I have three bettas in separate aquariums and they have room temp year round, which means 68 winter, 76 summer. They have been on my mantel for several years now. Sorry about Bubbles.

Quote:

Thank you, Stacykins for what you said about the Bettas and Goldfish. We've always had our Bettas in heated and filtered tanks. They too lived for years. We've even had one or two in community tanks where no one picked on them and they enjoyed the socializing. Just because something CAN live a certain way, doesn't necessarily mean it's happy or it's the best conditions.

Back
Top Bottom