My Flock (babies too!)

mandelyn

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Mt Repose, OH
My Coop
My Coop
I'll go youngest to oldest. First is the 5 day old Bantam Cochins. Front left is Kick Stand, the one who's getting around really well even though the left leg is splayed. I'm pretty sure bottom right is a boy!

P1040445.jpg

The two Black Spanish 4 month old pullets enjoying a dust bath while the others free range...

P1040464.jpg

Spring hatch Red Stars, best layers right now.

P1040533.jpg

P1040538.jpg

Blue Cochin Bantam "Miss Puffy Pants"

P1040539.jpg

P1040511.jpg

Frizzle Bantam Cochin who's very much improved, most all of her feathers have grown in.

P1040532.jpg

New Hampshire Red who runs the roost, and Astro the Black Astralorp, great layer considering she's in molt.

P1040542.jpg

The New Hampshire is not looking her best being in full molt...

P1040490.jpg

I've tried several different hobbling tricks but the good leg keeps going with the bad one and she can't get around at all. Tried it spaced with the band aid width, a bit tighter, a bit looser. Tried the foam. Nothing is aiding in bringing the other leg in, it simply brings the good leg under and over. Unless she just isn't cooperating?

She's getting around great considering, haven't had to separate her. I think they'll need their own grow out area though, no doubt my big birds will be mean to all of them like they are with the Black Spanish. Those babies are plenty big enough to handle it, and stay inside their house until I put the others out, then they pop out as soon as the run door shuts to dust bathe and browse around. Too flighty still to free range them but they're getting better.

The Astralorp and New Hampshire were anti social and mean but have settled in. New Hampshire is Queen but she doesn't get any treats from me unless she comes close and takes them from me. She's learned being close to me offers a lot more than boring old pellets.

The Red Stars are hilarious. They have no fear of me, and they're very sweet. I have to herd them by kicking leaves after them, or nudge with my shoe every step. It's so much faster to pick them up and carry them where I want them, and they allow me to do that.

It's so cute when they get let out, and Miss Frizzle let's out a "scream" and shoots across the yard as fast as her feet will carry her, her useless frizzle wings flapping furiously. The Red Stars look up and notice I've moved, and come flying. The Astralorp in their wake wondering what the heck just happened.

You know it's really hard to get photos with their heads up.

Back
Top Bottom