my former egg-laying hen is a trans-rooster?!

i need to ask this .if it does go to being a rooster the eggs would be infertile?
No. Corrected to yes they would be INfertile.

Male specific feathering, crowing, and mounting hens.
These things can happen....but bird will never grow testicles in order to fertilize eggs.

Last edited:
i need to ask this .if it does go to being a rooster the eggs would be infertile?
Development can take place in infertile eggs.. however it will not mature all the way to hatch.
He crows, has grown enormous, has stopped laying eggs and is now mounting a hen and pulling out her feathers. What to do?
Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

What you describe is highly unusual, but not impossible... as explained above by other posters. :eek:

For me... I WON'T have another hen mounting other hens PERIOD. :smack

First I would take (and show right here) before and after pics, consider submitting her for studying to an appropriate institution. :pop

My end choice... would be putting that bird on the table! Sorry, no free loader... unless they have pet status. :oops: :drool

Truly amazing story, thanks for sharing! :highfive:

FWIW, mounting can be purely dominance related and not a sexual behavior. I did have one actively laying pullet insist on harassing another actively laying subordinate pullet. NO bullies allowed in flock. Setting pecking order, I get. Relentless harassing... equals re-homing with disclosure or a long aromatic soak in my hot pot or someone else's if I'm not able. ;)

A peaceful flock is a happier flock and keeper in my experience. Best wishes no matter what choice you make! :fl

My head hen, a hatchery BR... hasn't laid eggs in a couple years now (and no bloating or other internal laying symptoms) and even attempts to crow on rare occasion.. :p When I do add a rooster in from my stag pen, they always seek her out first (so far) to win her over (they must be able to tell she is leader) and she does still squat for them once accepted. I was curios to see if she would grow in male feathering after this last molt but she did not. No spurs yet either. Since she rules gently and hangs out on my lap chatting in her soft voice.. she does have pet status as long as she appears healthy and pain free. :love

While it isn't truly relevant, just an interesting observation.. my local friend has several older (4 years+) hatchery Wyandottes, Rock, Doms, and buff Orps.. many of whom still lay during season that sport good sets of spurs.

It's not Ripley's, but BYC's Believe It or Not??! :D

Seriously though, sorry for the issues it may be causing for your flock. :hmm

The rooster is about 2 years old, and we believe it was laying eggs for some 5 months once we adopted it. We saw it laying its blue eggs...Thanks for asking...
Very cool! I’ve read about this and ALMOST thought my rooster Roopecca started as female. That’s why I asked those questions. Mine was young. His brother Marvin had matured a good 2 months earlier. We had no sign that Repecca wasn’t a pullet. Smaller than the other pullets, seriously smaller than brother Marvin. Small pale comb and wattles. Then one day I was outside and saw “her” puff up, throw back her head, and crow. Overnight he grew bigger, stood straighter, displayed saddle feathers and neck feathers, and a deep red comb and wattle. Hence the new name Roopecca. He was a male from the beginning. I’ve seen the fertile eggs. Being young he was just a late bloomer. Yours is obviously old enough to have been either laying or crowing in the beginning and she chose eggs LOL! Now he chooses crowing.
You should start a thread about him. Her. Um. LOL. Do you have any pictures from his female days?

Being young he was just a late bloomer. Yours is obviously old enough to have been either laying or crowing in the beginning and she chose eggs LOL! Now he chooses crowing.
You should start a thread about him.

Pretty sure it's just nature and related to hormones being out of whack... NOT a CHOICE at all. :confused:

This IS a thread about "him". ;)

Back
Top Bottom