My friend just hit a deer can I process it? need advise please

We've done this a number of times - call your warden, tell him the situation. He/she will probably tell you fine, but don't share it with anyone. Gut it ASAP. I like it when they don't get wasted. Good luck.

Gut it, skin it, and get the carcass chilled as soon as possible. The part of the deer that was actually hit by the car probably won't be any good, but you should be able to salvage the rest.

Good venison can't be beat!

Check with fish and game it only takes a quick phone call just to be on the safe side many states do have regulations that must be followed.

AL

Well the deer was to damaged to get much but they cut off a few pieces and gAve me a few from another deer they were butchering and I payed 20 dollars for their time and to dispose of the deer. Next time I will know better and not go after anything that was hit so hard. Oh well it was an adventure I guess. Should I soak the pieces in a brine like I do with chicken or just wash it off well and let it rest in a zip lock in the frig for a day or 2?

That's always the problem when you don't know how bad the animal was injured. One should always carry a good hunting knife in the glove box incase an accident happens. I've had people that hit a deer a few cars ahead of me and keep going. That's when you "assess" the situation. Sometimes they have to put out of their misery to stop suffering
sad.png
At least you tried. Enjoy!

ETA: Around here backstraps are almost always pulled on fresh roadkill anyway.

Last edited:
We soak all our deer in ice/salt/water brine for at least 24 hrs up to 48.(we usually put it in an ice chest, cover with ice and pour salt on top, add ice as needed).

Back
Top Bottom