My friend keeps her chicken inside and it poos everywhere!

I've spent most of my life around other creatures, on farms, in houses, in the wild and the creature responsible for all the illnesses I've fallen prey to is the human. Guess I shouldn't go and visit them anymore.
In the age range of those humans the most harmfull I've found is the child. When I was in the unfortunate positon of dragging these child creatures into the wider world I got much of everything they got including the food they vomited up, the waste produce from the other end, the lice they caught at school, every strain of cough and cold imaginable. They've even been responsible for a few broken bones.

There is some merit in the idea that low level exposure to the bugs that are trying to cause "even death!" is the best way to build up some immunity. At 68 years old I guess I'm pretty much bullet proof now but if some disease or other takes me down it will be something humans passed on to me.

Yikes! ;-) Well.... people who smoke indoors honestly (again based on thousands of homes I've been in) do not seem to CARE what their house smells like much less make an effort to assure their home doesn't smell of cat urine.... Just sayin'... I mean, they've given up on their home's value as it's near impossible to sell a home of someone who smoked indoors! You can literally scrape the nicotine off the stained walls/ceilings....

Does make me remember though how I'd have to wash my hair after going to a club back in the 90's when people were still allowed to smoke in them!! YIKES- it was awful...put your clothes in the wash and go to bed with wet hair....😝
we bought our place and previous tenant smoked inside for 12 years and it was the grossest thing to clean. we used a special cleaner and I'm not exaggerating, the walls were bleeding brown nicotine. you could see the outlines of all her chairs and pictures on the wall.... and we had to use a special primer to cover/abosrb the smell. it worked. the only doorframe we didn't prime reeked so much that we ended up painting it later because the smell wouldn't go away.

it sounds like your friend has some things going on, even if unacknowledged. figure out why she loves her chicken in the house and figure out what worries her about diapers etc. Personally, my chickens make MASSIVE poops that stink when fresh I would definitely not be able to do deal with that in the house. Your friend needs to figure this out, it's just not sanitary.

I've spent most of my life around other creatures, on farms, in houses, in the wild and the creature responsible for all the illnesses I've fallen prey to is the human. Guess I shouldn't go and visit them anymore.
In the age range of those humans the most harmfull I've found is the child. When I was in the unfortunate positon of dragging these child creatures into the wider world I got much of everything they got including the food they vomited up, the waste produce from the other end, the lice they caught at school, every strain of cough and cold imaginable. They've even been responsible for a few broken bones.

There is some merit in the idea that low level exposure to the bugs that are trying to cause "even death!" is the best way to build up some immunity. At 68 years old I guess I'm pretty much bullet proof now but if some disease or other takes me down it will be something humans passed on to me.
That’s a valid point and you’re right humans can be just as gross if not worse than animals. Kids especially can be some grimy little buggers. My mom once flipped when she saw me let my dog lick off of a dinner plate before putting it in the dishwasher. She screamed “Do not let them lick that plate they lick butts!”. I asked her if she still eats out at restaurants and she replied “well of course who doesn’t?!”. I said “Well have I got some news for you then…”. 😂

That’s what it’s going to have to be. She has dog allergies, but salmonella vs allergies, I choose allergies. Now to complicate things, my 16 year old is good friends with her daughter. I think I’m going to talk with my kid about the concerns I have, and let her read an article or two.
oh wow- now THAT is tough- a lot different.... I'm sorry you are going thru this. You sound like a super sweetheart and sensible and the fact that you even are worried about upsetting her speaks volumes...HOPEFULLY she will see that too!! Best of luck- but I get it- your biggest responsibility in this whole thing is to your own child... her safety trumps offending your friend IF she gets offended- hope not!! :hugs

we bought our place and previous tenant smoked inside for 12 years and it was the grossest thing to clean. we used a special cleaner and I'm not exaggerating, the walls were bleeding brown nicotine. you could see the outlines of all her chairs and pictures on the wall.... and we had to use a special primer to cover/abosrb the smell. it worked. the only doorframe we didn't prime reeked so much that we ended up painting it later because the smell wouldn't go away.
Yikes- I feel for you- it's a nightmare to clean/treat and I can't believe people can live with it but if you are willing to do that to your body I guess someone else's house is of NO concern ;-) lol

I had a chicken who had to convalesce from a hawk attack in my kitchen for about two weeks -- an extenuating circumstance. I didn't have any guests over during that time, and cleaned up constantly for my own heath. And certainly didn't let the hen roam the house. This is extremely unsanitary and I would decline to visit this person.

Maybe send her some information on the disease having chicken poos in your home can create (mostly salmonella) not to mention the dander they leave when preening their feathers. Maybe she’s just not educated in the dangers?

Back
Top Bottom