My Geese cant walk ......

Hopestonelove

Hatching
8 Years
Nov 13, 2011
Ok our gosling 3-4months old had a scare by a fox a week ago and we lost one (chewed through chook wire) and 2 of the 5left were stressed and fell down and haven't been able to walk since they flap and squawk they eat a little and haven't got any better is there anything we can do or do they need to be put down? Thanks

Yes checked them over they didnt get in contact with the fox coz he tried to pull one through but wouldn't fit and others weren't harmed

Sounds like capture myopathy. Stress causes muscle tissue death, often leg, wing, and heart. I've lost a couple of birds to it,and published the enzyme levels used to determine it. If it is CM, there's no treatment I am aware of.

Clint

taken from the merck veterinary manual -

"This syndrome often develops after restraint of wild animals. Affected animals may die acutely from lactic acidosis or may live several days and show muscular stiffness or become recumbent. Severe skeletal muscle lesions with myocardial necrosis and myoglobinuric nephrosis may be present. Careful handling and reduction of stress are useful; IV fluids and sodium bicarbonate may help. If the animals are from areas considered to be deficient in selenium, the condition may be an exercise-induced myopathy that is responsive to selenium or vitamin E"

just incase it helps
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom