My girls are talking & I mean TALKING !!!!

All of ours talk but we have one we call our Operatic Chicken. Gilda is a buff orpington and she loves to sing! She can be pretty repetative but she has 4 or 5 songs she sings as she's roaming the yard. None of them appear to be because she's upset or alarmed. Some are quiet, most are LOUD, a few mean something. She has what we call her hunting song when she's intent on finding tasty snakes along the fence line. She sings the egg song at the sight of anything round including the dogs tennis balls. She even has a I'm bored it's raining, just hanging out on the porch song.

Usually she's one of our more remote birds, not interested in being real close, but the other week when I was on my knees repairing fence she came to the other side of the fence within a foot or less of me and regaled me with her entire repitoire for almost an hour. It was funny for the first 15 minutes.
roll.png

Our girls are fairly chatty. When my wife gets home from work she usually walks past the tractor and the are quite vocal telling her all about their day. It is really cute.

"It was funny for the first 15 minutes" comment made me chuckle enough to be noticed.

I went outside today with my girls & One boy ... I took on a deeper appreciation that they are talking at me & not chewing my head off (except that one ... I think she curses me out.). I talked back with them, petted under their necks, feed & watered them. As I was starting to leave, they all ran to the coop door as to stop me from exiting. A little more time with the girls & one boy never hurt me so they won.

My girls are now on their 17th week (?) so I've decided to get into the habit of looking for eggs even if it's too soon. I didn't know there was pre-egg chatter & an egg song. I might have to find this on a youtube video so I will know what everyone is talking about.
wink.png

Julie

Last edited:
My noisy hen sings the egg song to the OTHER hen who is actually laying. THe rooster gets in on it too- are they just harrassing her? Shouldn't the LAYING hen be singing??
roll.png

I love the sweet, trilling, nitey-nite vocalizing my little girls do. It's so cute. One of my EE's stretches her neck and does kind of a questioning prolonged peep at intervals when I talk to her, also. Mostly it's egg song, though. I have noticed that both in the tractor and in the big girls' coop, there always seems to be someone on lookout, who starts bobbing their head, and (I imagine) vocalizing when I am spotted at the back screen door, no matter how stealthy I am. One of these days I will remove the glass panels and try to hear what they are saying. Whatever it is, all the other birds appear and start pacing the closest side to the door.
smile.png

Nothing makes the tension leave my body like listeing to my broody talk to her chicks....
It is so soothing.She was doing this Thursday night , just before her chicks hatched.
It was a deep, soft, throaty sound. I told my husband she was talking them out of their shells
and sure enough..she had 8 beautiful babies the next day........................

Back
Top Bottom