My Girls finally laid

snaglehook

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 26, 2014
Destrehan,La.
Update since my last post: lost my Red to my rescue pit bull, after 6 mo in harmony without any sense he even knew they were there he decided ,he's a dog they are chickens. Sad but I should not have let them alone for long periods without watching. On the positive side my 7mo old Blk. Austros laid 3 eggs last night, not sure if the addition of light 14 hrs was a factor but I'm very excited. Thanks for all the helpful responses to my previous posts.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Oh I am so sorry about the loss of your bird to the dog. Sometimes dogs can't be trusted around chickens.

But congrats on the eggs!!! It takes a while for Australorps to lay but once they do they can be power layers. I have never had to add lighting to my Aussies to get them to lay. They lay no matter what.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I'm sorry for the loss of your Red!
hugs.gif

Congratulations on the eggs! I hope you get many more.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry for you loss. It's always sad to lose one of our flock. Unfortunately, dogs and chickens typically don't mix well. Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of them), and excellent layers of large, brown eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your BAs.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about the lost bird, congrats on those first eggs!

Back
Top Bottom