my girls got maggots for the first time

irish44395

Songster
Aug 11, 2020
Gulfport, FL.
My maggot is starting to produce, I been snap trapping mice and throwing them in the bucket . there were just a few in the catch so I dumped them in the coop they were in a little saw dust and 5 min later there was just bare dirt . now when I get more I know they will gobble them up
Pete

I hate to ask questions like this in forums for being misunderstood as being condescending, which happens frequently here, but I was wondering if the sawdust and whatever else is in there (fermented rats?) is healthy for the birds?
I would like to attempt this after hearing more about the health factors.
I don't think the chickens will eat the saw dust the rat wasn't poison, kill with a snap trap. going to use oat meal the next time you just have to have the maggots drop in to something dry so they can't craw out .
Pete

I hate to ask questions like this in forums for being misunderstood as being condescending, which happens frequently here, but I was wondering if the sawdust and whatever else is in there (fermented rats?) is healthy for the birds?
The rats stay above. The grown maggots fall through the holes!

That's gross, but love the idea. :idunno Don't get me wrong. I have an iron stomach. Can handle most gross things, dead carcass, infected wounds, rotting whatever. But maggots make me want to barf lol

I use two 5 gal buckets I'll post picture later this after noon , the first bucket you drill 1/2" holes in the bottom and a few one inch holes around the top . I place four pieces of !/2" tubing on the edge of the bottom bucket to help give space between the buckets and make it easy to pull apart. The top bucket put in 2 to 3 " of pine shavings put in old meat or a dead rat (what I use) and put in more pine shavings and the lid pace away from house (to keep the wife from smelling it) and wait a few days .
Pete

here are some pic of my set up
20200923_121432.jpg
20200923_121411.jpg
20200923_121343.jpg

I am not big on them other than they are cheap food and easy to get . To my surprise the odor wasn't that bad,the pine shavings in the bucket helped and the maggots in the saw dust were hard to see and just look like the a saw dust was moving
Pete

I am not big on them other than they are cheap food and easy to get . To my surprise the odor wasn't that bad,the pine shavings in the bucket helped and the maggots in the saw dust were hard to see and just look like the a saw dust was moving
Pete
How is your set up for that? Can you post a picture? I seen people use 5 gallon buckets.

Back
Top Bottom