Ewwwww Maggots

Ajoy1955

Songster
Jul 1, 2023
Greeneville Tennessee
So I opened up my droppings can to make a deposit from my daily cleaning of my droppings board and the inside was covered in various stages of maggots….needless to say I was traumatized by this disgusting sight! I called my girls over to show them hoping they would have a morning feast … obviously they were just as disgusted and wouldn’t have anything to do with them ….is this okay that I had maggots in this can? I have been tossing vegetables that were left over from the days treats , so I am thinking this may be what started this deluge …never had this to happen before, and I have been using this droppings for over a year … I give it to my neighbor for his compost pile! All and any comments welcomed!

If it's just going to compost, it's probably fine that it has maggots right now. You'll probably just want to make sure you secure the container a little better so flies can't get in and lay eggs. Then there won't continually be maggots and an excess of flies in the area. Make sure the lid closes tight and if it has ventilation holes, you may want to cover them with something like screen. Maybe cover the top layer with something compostable, yet undesirable to flies, such as straw or leaves. They like to lay eggs on things such as poop or rotting meat, so make sure that's covered.

I'm no expert, but I don't see the harm in there being some maggots as long as you take care of the problem moving forward. Those maggots will turn to flies and will fly away (or die if they are trapped inside) and not lay more eggs if you make it a less desirable environment, and then secure it so more can't get in in the future.

If it's just going to compost, it's probably fine that it has maggots right now. You'll probably just want to make sure you secure the container a little better so flies can't get in and lay eggs. Then there won't continually be maggots and an excess of flies in the area. Make sure the lid closes tight and if it has ventilation holes, you may want to cover them with something like screen. Maybe cover the top layer with something compostable, yet undesirable to flies, such as straw or leaves. They like to lay eggs on things such as poop or rotting meat, so make sure that's covered.

I'm no expert, but I don't see the harm in there being some maggots as long as you take care of the problem moving forward. Those maggots will turn to flies and will fly away (or die if they are trapped inside) and not lay more eggs if you make it a less desirable environment, and then secure it so more can't get in in the future.
I am wondering if the poop droppings that I pick up through the day and add to this can may be where the fly eggs came from? I always make sure the lid is closed cause I don’t want rain to get in

I am wondering if the poop droppings that I pick up through the day and add to this can may be where the fly eggs came from? I always make sure the lid is closed cause I don’t want rain to get in
Hmm that's possible. Maybe you need to completely leave the lid off or something. I throw chicken poop in my compost pile and it dries and breaks down, even with me occasionally spraying the pile with the hose. Maybe the closed can is creating a dark, moist, poopy environment that they like or something. Again, I'm no expert, but these are just some thoughts.

Maggots in a compost pile are fine, they help break down the compost and depart as flies afterwards. Once the compost is broken down enough the adult flies will completely lose interest in the pile and the cycle is broken. I suppose you can mention it to the neighbor in case it bothers them, but it's never been an issue for me.

Back
Top Bottom