my girls have really slowed down the laying

west7

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2015
we have 3 rhode island reds and they are 2 years old now.This month has been very very bad for eggs. some days we get one and some days 2..today there were none. not sure what to do.

Are you in the northern hemisphere? If so, it's probably a combination of molting and the lower amount of daylight hours. Hens stop laying when they are molting, and when they aren't getting around 14 hours of light a day, they slow down or stop laying.

Mine are as well. Some of them are also molting and we have had odd weather. First cold, then hot, then cold again. I am in Virginia. Could be the weather.

I thought it was just my girls....molting---some yes, led light---well of course, but last year no slow down at all. Was an egg a day from everyone. Ahh the good old days.

I agree with what's been posted so far. Most hens slow down a lot after 2 years, and when they are that age they will stop laying during a molt and during fall & winter. Artificial light in the coop for a couple of hours before sunrise can help.

I thought it was just my girls....molting---some yes, led light---well of course, but last year no slow down at all. Was an egg a day from everyone. Ahh the good old days.
When they are in their first year, they typically lay right through the winter, but by the time they are two, they will take a break, starting in early fall and going to late winter, while they molt and await for the days to start lengthening again. It is a bit of shock to see how drastic the change is between a one and two year old hen. I had a dozen hens and the first year I was giving away eggs to friends and family. The second year I was lucky to get an egg a day -- most days there were none -- in November and December. Friends were showing up hopefully with empty egg cartons and couldn't believe I had no more eggs. I thought about putting in supplemental lightening, but decided to just let the natural cycle play itself out. I learned that if you want eggs year around, you pretty much need to be raising up at least one new chicken per year (if you have the space for it).

In the spring, I'll start another small flock, not hybrids this time. And maybe a duel purpose bird too. Of the 12 I started with...Joey went to a new home, Red, Goldie and Molt all got egg bound after their first molt. Sad!

Back
Top Bottom