my girls were attacked...

chickiegal

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 10, 2013
Austin, TX
My flock was recently attacked by some neighbor dogs who got into the chicken yard. (yes, we had taken precautions against this). We lost 2 and 5 are in wound therapy. They are getting honey bathes and are under vet care as well. I had this happen a few years ago so I'm not new to wound therapy but wanted to know if any of you have ever given Arnica to your girls and if so how did you administer it? I am getting some Traumeel cream to rub on as they are so so sore. I was also wondering about Turmeric. ?? They are on pain meds as well as antibiotics. The honey bathes are amazing and so soothing. I'm always looking for holistic remedies without side effects so any and all suggestions are welcome!!! Thanks y'all.

My flock was recently attacked by some neighbor dogs who got into the chicken yard. (yes, we had taken precautions against this). We lost 2 and 5 are in wound therapy. They are getting honey bathes and are under vet care as well. I had this happen a few years ago so I'm not new to wound therapy but wanted to know if any of you have ever given Arnica to your girls and if so how did you administer it? I am getting some Traumeel cream to rub on as they are so so sore. I was also wondering about Turmeric. ?? They are on pain meds as well as antibiotics. The honey bathes are amazing and so soothing. I'm always looking for holistic remedies without side effects so any and all suggestions are welcome!!! Thanks y'all.
The best thing you can do for those wounds is to clean them really well with a Betadine/warm water solution. After patting dry spray with Vetericyn Spray!! This stuff is a miracle worker for wounds treatment.

Below is an example of just what this amazing product can accomplish...a MUST-HAVE in your first aid kit!

I hope your girls recoup quickly...wishing you all the very best!
frow.gif

OMG!!! That is amazing indeed! I will get some for sure. Hopefully it will keep 2 of my girls from having to get stitched up! I'm not new to nursing from an attack but am always looking for better ways to heal and make my girls more comfy during their rehab. Thanks so much!

The best thing you can do for those wounds is to clean them really well with a Betadine/warm water solution. After patting dry spray with Vetericyn Spray!! This stuff is a miracle worker for wounds treatment.

Below is an example of just what this amazing product can accomplish...a MUST-HAVE in your first aid kit!

I hope your girls recoup quickly...wishing you all the very best!
frow.gif
That stuff works WONDERS!!! My dog got into my coop, and killed three of my babies. I got there when she was attacking my fourth and just in the nick of time.. but not before she did this:

I started her on Antibiotics and a pain killer, cleaned as you suggested and sprayed with Vetricyn. Covered it with Blu-Kote. After about a week she was healed up enough to go back out in the coop. Three weeks later you can hardly even tell she ever had a wound there. Vertricyn and Blue Kote both are a chicken keeper's MUST HAVE!!!!

My "go-to" is a heal all salve made by a local herbalist. It's base is olive oil which has incredible healing properties to begin with that's been infused with healing plants such as all-heal and calendula, amongst other plants and blended with beeswax. Coconut oil is another one I will use...just on it's own.

I hope you're girls make a quick recovery!

Last edited:
Island girl, agree on the coconut oil, it was fab for treating one of my girls legs when she had suspected leg mites as it melts on easily, stays on and wont do her any harm if she eats it. I also use Zam-buk on grazes, sunburn and and sore bottoms but not sure if it's a UK only thing? http://www.rose-apothecary.co.uk/blog/?p=150

Sorry to hear of your girls chickie, I hope they make a speedy full recovery. Lots of hugs and treats for them x

Island girl, agree on the coconut oil, it was fab for treating one of my girls legs when she had suspected leg mites as it melts on easily, stays on and wont do her any harm if she eats it. I also use Zam-buk on grazes, sunburn and and sore bottoms but not sure if it's a UK only thing? http://www.rose-apothecary.co.uk/blog/?p=150

Sorry to hear of your girls chickie, I hope they make a speedy full recovery. Lots of hugs and treats for them x

The Zam-buk seems to be available everywhere except the US...surprise, surprise (though they do say they ship worldwide). My stepmum lives in Ireland so I'll ask her if she's ever seen it there.

Back
Top Bottom