My girls won't roost at night!

Well ignore those pics from yesterday Because we have a whole new game plan tonight I hope it isn't to confusing for them tonight. Here is what they have now.
I didn't want them right up against the metal roofing on the roost so we changed locations. All I have to do now is cut some more boards for the chicken ladder because hubby got them to far apart and the slide on it.

I got a run of 15 pulleys late spring, they are free range until dusk as far as feed I give them a large sour cream container full of scratch once a day, for regular feed it the Natures layer feed.

Well ignore those pics from yesterday Because we have a whole new game plan tonight I hope it isn't to confusing for them tonight. Here is what they have now.
I didn't want them right up against the metal roofing on the roost so we changed locations. All I have to do now is cut some more boards for the chicken ladder because hubby got them to far apart and the slide on it.
That looks like a much better arrangement. I myself prefer to use linoleum under the roosts. PDZ around where I live is expensive. Daily scraping in the morning when I let them out, thats free : P

Here is our setup for 8 girls. 2 Roosts, poop board, food bar. All removable thanks to 2x4 hangers, and easy to spray off and scrub since its been painted.

That looks like a much better arrangement. I myself prefer to use linoleum under the roosts. PDZ around where I live is expensive. Daily scraping in the morning when I let them out, thats free : P

Here is our setup for 8 girls. 2 Roosts, poop board, food bar. All removable thanks to 2x4 hangers, and easy to spray off and scrub since its been painted.
Put a lip around that poo board add a bag of sweet pdz and you won't have to get out the water hose! Just scoop like a litter box and spread the poo were you want it! Trust me you will love it!

Well tonight I let them find the roost on their own and after it got dark went out with flash light and all were up on the roost like good little chickies!
yippiechickie.gif
Now on to the next project!

I have 23 "mixed brown layers" from McMurray (not sure what they all are as ive only had blk australorps since starting with chickens 4 years ago. Have always added my hatchlings to one of the houses after an appropriate time in the brooder. Hence they were with birds that were roosting. This is the first purchased chicks...they went from brooder to tractor without high roosting bars (only about 3" high). They were moved to a more traditional house with high roosts, poop board with lower nest boxes and a fenced run at about 4 months. Recently discovered that they were not roosting but huddled on the ground in the run. For over 2 weeks i have been going out at dark and placing them all on the bars. 6 are now going up on their own but after a week the others are split between huddlong outside and cramming into their little door facing into the house but not going in. If I persist will the FINALLY figure it out or should I change my tactics?

Put a lip around that poo board add a bag of sweet pdz and you won't have to get out the water hose! Just scoop like a litter box and spread the poo were you want it! Trust me you will love it!
We are on a tight budget. PDZ is not in it : / It's free to simply scrape the poop board each morning when we let them out of the coop. Ive only had to spray it off once in 3 weeks. Pretty easy if you ask me, and free : D

I have 23 "mixed brown layers" from McMurray (not sure what they all are as ive only had blk australorps since starting with chickens 4 years ago. Have always added my hatchlings to one of the houses after an appropriate time in the brooder. Hence they were with birds that were roosting. This is the first purchased chicks...they went from brooder to tractor without high roosting bars (only about 3" high). They were moved to a more traditional house with high roosts, poop board with lower nest boxes and a fenced run at about 4 months. Recently discovered that they were not roosting but huddled on the ground in the run. For over 2 weeks i have been going out at dark and placing them all on the bars. 6 are now going up on their own but after a week the others are split between huddlong outside and cramming into their little door facing into the house but not going in. If I persist will the FINALLY figure it out or should I change my tactics?
I put a light in my coop with a 25 watt bulb. I bought a cheap timer at Lowe's to make the light come on before dark. Had to put them all in the coop the first night. Second night half went in on their own. Third night half again. Put 2 inside then last 2 went in on their own. Now they all go inside at dusk without any help. Now I'm gonna start cutting back on the timer so the light will not stay on all night. Persistance and time. They will learn. Would deffinately try a light.

Add a light is the right way to go. And try locking them in the coop for a couple days if weather permits. Mine were in the coop for almost 2 weeks before they got to go into the run. Mostly because the run wasn't ready for them. I had no problem getting them to go in at night. If you use a light turn it off after they are all in and ready for bed. Don't leave it on all night. And shut the coop door behind them. They are safer locked in the coop. Unless you have taken the proper measures on predator proofing. Just try locking them in for a couple days if you can first. And if your still having problems after that , try the light.

Back
Top Bottom