My goat is shivering and is pregnant....

Chirpy

Balderdash
15 Years
May 24, 2007
Colorado
I brought a Nubian doe home yesterday with her wether brother. She's 3 yrs. old and due the first of February. Being typical goats my herd leader is not allowing her into the barn and it's 12 degrees outside and snowing!! She was inside last night as even my bossy girl allows everyone in at night (I think she just is too lazy to get up at night and butt them back outside) but I'm concerned right now because she's out there shivering.

I went out and spent some time with them this afternoon, letting her get into the barn (keeping miss bossy goat girl away from her) but she didn't want in... she ran back outside! I have no other place for her that is goat proof so I have to figure out if she's Ok as is or what to do for her?

Thankfully her brother stands next to her and I'm sure that helps with some protection from the weather but????

You should move them somewhere she can get out of that precipitation. Hopefully it can be where she can then nest down next year to kid...away from your alpha doe. The stress of moving makes them more likely to become sick.

This may be really a stupid question, but can a goat wear a blanket? Like one sized for a miniature horse? They come quite small. I don't have goats, but I hate to see a horse or pony shivering, just because they're using up calories that could be put to better use, especially in a pregnancy.

Well you need to get 2 cattle panels and make a place like a kidding stall and for her protection...with the stress of moving and then not being let in the barn all day is going to really cause some problems real fast, She can get a cold and it can go into pneumonia fast...the shivering is a sign sometimes of fever and you need to take her temp to see if its high or really low.
She needs lots of hay to make body heat and without hay or something to cud she cant keep her bodyheat up.
I have made pens and put shelters in them and they are basically made of wood pallets and then a top on it. I place tin around the sides to block drafts. Shelters can be made of scrap lumber really easy and with some cattle panels a pen real fast and cheaply also.
I did this as I needed more kidding pens and this way when she kids she will have a place to go to be safe as the other does can hurt the babies fast.
I would give her some warm water with some molasses in it to warm her up also. Its not good for them to shiver for long periods of time either. Lowers the immune system and causes problems. Separate her with her brother till after she kids and then she will do well with the herd. Its hard to come to a new place and just fit in...That is why I have a quarentine pen with a shelter in it. A safe haven to relax and get used to the new surroundings. Also it keep the new goats from spreading germs and other things to the goats you already have. Better safe than sorry. Good luck

You have been given good advise. Please follow it.

Watch her carefully. The stress of being in a new place, the herd queen not letting her in and the freezing weather, her excessive shivering not only could she get very sick she could loose her pregnancy.

I would get her in somewhere,if you have a cattle panel you can tie it up in a corner somewhere crossways and use two walls and make a pen,or you could make a circle out of it(hard to do,you will need help if you do this) and tie the ends together to make a pen..goats and sheep can wear coats,show people use them all the time to keep them clean after grooming..I dont know how well it would work out in the open without them being penned up tho,might freak them out if they arent used to it.

I knew you guys would help me.

My two teenage boys went out with me and got 2 panels from my round pen and took them in the barn. We made a stall right in the middle of the barn floor up against the llama stall. One side has wood so they can get up against that also. I then moved Ann and her brother Dan into that stall together. She's not shivering anymore and is seemingly contentedly eating. I gave them both alfalfa and grass hay and got them fresh water. I sat with them for 1/2 hour, it's quite cozy in the barn.

I'm going back out in a few minutes to give her warm water with molasses as suggested also.

It's 9 degrees out right now! Brrrr. Thankfully there's no wind or it would be really bitter out.

We have an area that we will be making into kidding stalls but since we just got her and have almost 2 months.... it isn't ready yet. My other doe isn't due for four months so I wasn't rushing. How things do change so quickly...

wee.gif
I would keep here there for a few weeks till they all adjust and get used to each other. This way the herd queen will see that they arent there to take over her job and she can get some much needed rest and calm down and also warm up.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom