my goat tries to bite every time i touch it

I am thinking she’s not used to you yet and is protecting her little ones. Plus in a larger herd the often aren’t handled by humans as often and maybe a little off from going to big herd to the 3 of them It will take time to adjust. I’m not familiar with those breeds as much. My friend did ask breed to maybe help find a way to defuse the situation and still grow a bond. It my be you do need to be stern. I’ll get with him as he has those breeds Is it getting better over time? Goats are odd creatures sometimes hard to figure out

I had goats for over 40 years. None of my goats EVER tried to bite me and only one tried to butt me (he never did it again). I wouldn't care if that particular animal was trying to protect her kids or not. That behavior is simply not acceptable under any circumstances.

I had goats for over 40 years. None of my goats EVER tried to bite me and only one tried to butt me (he never did it again). I wouldn't care if that particular animal was trying to protect her kids or not. That behavior is simply not acceptable under any circumstances.
No the behavior is not acceptable but sometimes behaviors can be changed after working with an animal. Maybe will work maybe won’t but I believe certain behaviors can be changed after working with an animal. I’ve change the behaviors of some of mine after working with them over Time. I believe when you adopt an animal and there’s an issue you need to at least try to work with the issue before you just give up

If I think about it and I was put in some strange place and some person that I’ve only known for a couple days was trying to handle my babies I wouldn’t be real happy about it either. Agreed the behavior is not acceptable but I think it’s going to be working on gaining trust while teaching them who is boss around there. It’s just figuring out the best way to go about that

No the behavior is not acceptable but sometimes behaviors can be changed after working with an animal. Maybe will work maybe won’t but I believe certain behaviors can be changed after working with an animal. I’ve change the behaviors of some of mine after working with them over Time. I believe when you adopt an animal and there’s an issue you need to at least try to work with the issue before you just give up

Where did you get the impression I meant to give up? If that were my goat, that behavior would stop in very short order, guaranteed. I would groom and handle the animal, perhaps give her some treats, work with her daily, but if she made a move to bite me she would get a sharp whack on the nose. However, I am not necessarily suggesting anyone else do this. My tolerance for brats, of any species, is extremely limited. Sorry.

No need to be sorry. I agree it needs to be stopped. I’m sorry I must have misunderstood the post. I have compiled a list of goat training methods that can be tried. Will send soon after I figure out why my goat is limping. Ugh

No need to be sorry. I agree it needs to be stopped. I’m sorry I must have misunderstood the post. I have compiled a list of goat training methods that can be tried. Will send soon after I figure out why my goat is limping. Ugh
Ok thank u sooooo much hope your goat feels better

I missed the post where you said the goat was limping and I can't seem to find it. Possible causes are hoofs trimmed too short (she will recover from that in short order) or an injury. Selenium deficiency often causes lameness and it is very common. Are her joints swollen, particularly her knees?

I am thinking she’s not used to you yet and is protecting her little ones. Plus in a larger herd the often aren’t handled by humans as often and maybe a little off from going to big herd to the 3 of them It will take time to adjust. I’m not familiar with those breeds as much. My friend did ask breed to maybe help find a way to defuse the situation and still grow a bond. It my be you do need to be stern. I’ll get with him as he has those breeds Is it getting better over time? Goats are odd creatures sometimes hard to figure out
its not as bad as when we first got her

That’s good she’s warming up. Goats are stubborn so just need to show her your in charge. First I would try simple. Just firm no ang a pop on the nose will work for some. Stay firm consistent and no backing down. Try that for awhile and then if no results then grab the horns till they stop struggling again with a no. If things are bad there is a method of grabbing the back legs and laying them on their side but I never had to go there. Small Treats for when she doesn’t do it to reinforce good behavior could help. Piece of carrot or apple or whatever she enjoys I think the first method with some positive reinforcement may work for you. You say she starting to warm up and it doesn’t sound like a just plain aggressive goat. Any method my take a couple days to catch on. What’s great about your situation is that when the babies are away for the day it gives you a chance to bond with her so can like you and respect you which owning a goat is much more pleasurable that way

Back
Top Bottom