My gosling was laying with its leg backwards behind it as she laid down

4Dobermans

Songster
May 24, 2020
Prescott,Az
It’s my first gosling, I have had chickens and ducks for years. I went in there tonight and I noticed it was laying with one foot backwards, it was in normal position but one foot was laying all the way back behind it face down. Is there something wrong with Harley? She is eating and when I said her name she got up normally and is walking fine and chirping. I live in a town that doesn’t get a lot of geese so I could only get her and a polish chick, I am planning on getting another gosling on Friday since they come in that day and it’s only a hour drive. She also was sneezing just now but it’s hard to tell because she could have gotten water up her nose. She had just got water up her nose! Should I be worried since she was laying that way?

It’s my first gosling, I have had chickens and ducks for years. I went in there tonight and I noticed it was laying with one foot backwards, it was in normal position but one foot was laying all the way back behind it face down. Is there something wrong with Harley? She is eating and when I said her name she got up normally and is walking fine and chirping. I live in a town that doesn’t get a lot of geese so I could only get her and a polish chick, I am planning on getting another gosling on Friday since they come in that day and it’s only a hour drive. She also was sneezing just now but it’s hard to tell because she could have gotten water up her nose. She had just got water up her nose! Should I be worried since she was laying that way?
She is a week today and the chick will be a week tomorrow. I have been giving Harley niacin every few days since my crested duck had Horton deficient and was very close to death. Lucky I got it to her in time and she is now over a year old!

Don't worry, it's perfectly normal for young goslings to lie with one or both legs stretched out behind them. I've never seen older goslings or grown geese do it, but all my goslings have occasionally done it. They look so odd and cute - and so relaxed.

Don't worry, it's perfectly normal for young goslings to lie with one or both legs stretched out behind them. I've never seen older goslings or grown geese do it, but all my goslings have occasionally done it. They look so odd and cute - and so relaxed.
That is odd but it’s also kinda cute. My others had never done something like that so that’s why I was worried. I feel relived now! I wanted to try something different and I can say I love geese. Harley follows me around and runs to me when I call her name. I had to have olsens special order Chinese geese because another store was getting them so I drove all the way to flagstaff which is a couple of hours away and they were sold out when I got there. I am getting Harley a friend so she isn’t lonely and has a swim buddy.

Great you're getting her a mate! Geese thrive so much better when they have goose buddies.

Funny thing happened today: my new Toulouse goose was chilling in the yard and guess what she did?

IMG_3583.JPG

LOL!!! So happy you got the reference! I looked up how the best way to get your goslings to inprint on you. One of my books said talk to them a lot. Well for the first 4 weeks of there lives. I read the entire Game of thrones series to them! Lol

Back
Top Bottom