My Grand Chicken Coop

berea

In the Brooder
Jan 30, 2021
Connecticut
I just wanted to share some pictures of my chicken coop here in New England. I came across a picture of a beautiful coop, which I think was posted on this site, which was called the Taj Mahal of chicken coops. I was very impressed by the design, and I wanted to create something just as beautiful and elaborate. I didn't have any dimensions to really go by, so I kinda winged it. About two months into this project I had a heart attack at work and was unable to work on my coop for over a year. When I was able to start working on it again, time, money, and physical limitations brought it to a snails pace. I finally finished it in March '20, and it is now the proud home of 12 beautiful Golden Comet Hens. The coop stands 14 feet tall at the center peak, has electricity, a center chandelier, smart bulb lighting, an 8' x 16' attached pen, a light sensored automatic Pullet-Shut Chicken Door, and 4 wifi Wansview Internet based security cameras. I hope you enjoy my pictures.
1w.jpg
1a.jpg
1b.jpg
1c.jpg
1d.jpg
1e.jpg
1f.jpg
1g.jpg
1h.png
1i.jpg
1j.png
1k.jpg
1l.jpg
1m.jpg
1o.jpg
1p.jpg
1q.jpg
1r.jpg
1s.jpg
1s1.jpg
1t.jpg
1t1.jpg
1v.jpg
1w.jpg

You, my friend, have some mad skills!!!! Congratulations on the coop, and regaining your health!

PS, What did you use for run roof. Looks pretty sturdy.
Thank you for the kind words. That is Ondura Roof Panels from Lowes. They are made of asphalt. Had to put some plastic roof panels on the lower end of the run for winter. Snow was piling up on the 1/4 inch hardware cloth I covered the run roof with. I didn't think that part through in the summer.

Attachments

• 20210130_173459.jpg
    20210130_173459.jpg
    756.4 KB · Views: 19
So you can reach them from the ground?

Oh, and, BTW....... Welcome to BYC! @berea
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2510630
Thanks for the tip, I just added my location. I'm in rural Connecticut. I do need to use a step stool to reach the windows. I realize that's not super practical, but we have a large coyote population out here. I had to really take that into consideration and decided it would be best to keep the coop raised up.

Pretty Spiffy!!

Love the top hinged windows up high.
How do they operate(open and close)?

Coop itself is 8' x 8'?
More pics of inside the coop?
Thank you. I really was frustrated trying to figure out what I was going to do for windows. It would have been a fortune to have windows made. I had a picture in my mind of what I wanted them to look like, and there wasn't any chance of finding any old windows that size to fit. I don't really have any special saws other than a regular table saw and a miter saw, but one day I just grabbed some wood and tried making them on my table saw. It took a little practice, but they came out really nice. They are hinged from the top and stay closed with strong cabinet magnets behind them. I have 1/4 inch hardware cloth behind the windows and wooden slats that prop the windows open to 90 degrees in the summer. The windows look really nice open that way in the summer, but they stick out a few inches past the roof edge when they're open and collect the rain a bit. This makes a mess of them and I had to do some serious cleaning and repainting in the fall. I'm considering removing the windows entirely this summer during the hottest months. I have some trim work left to do inside the coop. When I get to that I'll post some inside pics. Thanks for your interest.

Back
Top Bottom