My guinea is injured!

sonderah

Songster
6 Years
Mar 26, 2013
Hardinsburg, Ky
My chocolate lab attacked one of my 10 week old guinea. She can only use 1 leg. The other just drags behind it. It seems to be the part attached to its body that's broken. Idk if there is a way to brace it? Other than its terrified, that seems to be the only thing wrong with her.

Ouch. There's probably no fixing that on your own... that is an extremely difficult break to brace on a bird. Both ends of the break need to be immobilized and held in a position so that the bone can heal. If there's any movement the break won't heal and the bird will have to continually suffer, living in pain. Because of the constant pain she won't be able to thrive, may not get enough to eat and drink, and the rest of the flock may pick on her/ reject her because they see her as the weak link in the flock... plus she won't be able to effectively flee from danger/predators and she might not be able to get up on anything to roost.

Sorry to say this but, unless you have the money to take her to a vet that can help her (which will be costly), she would be better off being put down...
sad.png

:( That's what I was afraid of. Right now I have her in a tote in the house. She just sits there. I wanted to give her some time to get out of shock, & see if she acted any differently. She doesn't move or make any noise. Just sits there. My dog has NEVER attacked any of our other birds, the chickens. I guess cause they're bigger.

Could it be dislocated? It sounds like that might be a possibility too. Also, you might be able to get it to heal, if it's a break, by putting her in a cage that's small enough that she can stand up if she needs to, but not move around at all. That will keep her mostly immobile. You could also try using vet wrap or something to pull the leg right up to her belly and keep it there so she can't move it at all - there's a thread somewhere in the Emergencies section where someone did that for a rooster whose leg was broken when he was hit by a car and he had a full recovery.

But your best bet would be to bring her to a vet if you could, especially if it's just dislocated - they could just pop it back in.

Well, I made a mistake. After she'd had time to calm down, it seemed ok, so I brought it outside to sit her down, so I could investigate and see what looked weird and stuff. Apparently its wings r fine, cause it flew away!!!!! Can't find it anywhere! Duh!!!!

She may come home - you never know. Keep an eye out for her. She could be in a tree closer by than you think - - but then what? It's a rotten situation all the way around. But you did the best you could, and we all make mistakes. I've made more than my share, and always feel like crap when I do. And then there are the mistakes I'll make in the future. Sorry this happened.

Back
Top Bottom