My gut says botulism, but could use some help

Pics
Well I am not familiar enough with the inner ear of a chicken.
Is it possibly an ear infection? Could be!
If it was an infection, then the antibiotics (which antibiotic did you use?) could be why he is lifting his head up now and showing improvement.

It's really hard to say with these animals!
I seem to be more informed when it comes to chickens than most vets around here.
Patience, tons of research, and knowing your animal really goes a long way!!

One ear has crusty stuff. Is that infection? Did not see mites or lice. Nothing under feathers either. Clean. Thank you so much for your help:bow
If you have photos, that would be good.
Crusty stuff in the ear sounds like ear infection. You will need to clean it out. Antibiotics alone will not clear up what's inside the ear.
Here's the best instructions that I know of about cleaning out the ear for infection:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ear-infection-in-rooster.919235/#post-13987945

Well I am not familiar enough with the inner ear of a chicken.
Is it possibly an ear infection? Could be!
If it was an infection, then the antibiotics (which antibiotic did you use?) could be why he is lifting his head up now and showing improvement.

It's really hard to say with these animals!
I seem to be more informed when it comes to chickens than most vets around here.
Patience, tons of research, and knowing your animal really goes a long way!!
Thank you. I really appreciate any information. :clap

Thank you. I really appreciate any information. :clap
Harley is definately feeling better.
Crowing this morning again. Poo is now lumpy with some white still greenish. Thanks for the help!:wee
IMG_20190112_081705.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190112_081644.jpg
    IMG_20190112_081644.jpg
    546.1 KB · Views: 3
Thank you! He is such a nice manored roo. Ears have been treated and cleaned. BUT.....I put him outside for 5 minutes and he dropped his head again after chasing the ladies.
IMG_20190112_135733.jpg
Video of him today making noises with his beak???? Too big to upload.

Thank you! He is such a nice manored roo. Ears have been treated and cleaned. BUT.....I put him outside for 5 minutes and he dropped his head again after chasing the ladies. View attachment 1640362 Video of him today making noises with his beak???? Too big to upload.
For video upload to youtube then provide us a link.
Poor fella, he still is not well is he.
I would still continue with some vitamin therapy as described in POST#73.
Watch to see if he still forms any gunk in his ears. It would also be a good idea to look inside his beak to make sure there is no mucous, plaques, canker, etc.

For video upload to youtube then provide us a link.
Poor fella, he still is not well is he.
I would still continue with some vitamin therapy as described in POST#73.
Watch to see if he still forms any gunk in his ears. It would also be a good idea to look inside his beak to make sure there is no mucous, plaques, canker, etc.
Thank you so much for the help! Let's hope he continues to improve. :fl

Back
Top Bottom