My Hatching Journey: the Adventures of a Complete Newbie

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BantyChooks, Jan 26, 2016.

1. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Good morning K! [​IMG] And everyone! [​IMG]

You got eggs in the oven K? Haven't heard you mention the new cabinet bator lately.

1 person likes this.
  2. No dear still suffering from TMC and they robed me at the sale barn this weekend .[​IMG]got to get the sixty dozen up for sunrise service too stuck my foot in my mouth without salt I might add . and sales are down a little but still there . next hatch will be hatch after that . still dealing with the hundreds from last year

3. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Sing Brightly Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 1, 2015
    North
    My Coop
    Good morning. :hugs

Bator is at 101*F and 31% humidity. They've been incubating for 3 days, 12 hours, and 45 minutes now. Day seven candle is coming shortly!
    Oh, and I don't know about you, but I keep my beer in the fridge.

When I get a temp spike after candling, should I just ignore or should I open a vent plug for a few minutes to lower it a bit?

Good morning WV and the rest.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  4. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Hi Bubbles. :)

5. Well depends on humidity if it recovers quickly or spikes like the temperature which it should do yes take the plugs out but put them back as soon as the temperature returns to 101 it is pretty amazing that your Incubator is doing so well and remaining so stable .one thing don't leave the incubator open during candling open it put your eggs in a carton and close it candle your eggs mark your air cells which I know you will do and put them back . maybe you better do half at one time . you being new and all . thirty minute window here. stay in it .that includes picture taking .this is really exciting . what you should do is record you so we can see your reaction . first time hatch first time veins and embryos .

6. BantyChooks

Aug 1, 2015
    North
    My Coop
    Thanks, I'll make sure and watch it. Keeping time to 2 minutes per egg sounds a little tough, but I'll give it a try.

No videos, but hopefully I'll get some pictures, that is, if my flashlight works,

WV, are your quail eggs still doing well?

7. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Quail eggs seem to be fine. Candling went well, so I'm happy. Lots of little movements going on.

My son bought me the coolest flashlight for Christmas. 325 lumens! Its a tactical flashlight and boy does it shine up the eggs!

Make sure you have fresh batteries too!

[​IMG]

8. BantyChooks

Aug 1, 2015
    North
    My Coop
    The candler is on my soon-to be upgraded list. I'm using a cellphone flashlight right now because it works better than my "real" flashlights.

9. LocalYokel

LocalYokel Overrun With Chickens

NICE candler! X2 on the fresh bats Bumpety bump bump bump BUBBLES BUBBLES BUBBLES BUBBLES BUBBLES :hugs @Bubbles12345

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  10. LocalYokel

LocalYokel Overrun With Chickens

You know what would be cool/incredibly boring/helpful?
    If someone had a site where they had a live feed of the bator, temps etc.

We could tag them and if thier email is hooked to the phone with notifications they'd know right away.

Maybe I'm jus crazy
    (Highly likely)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by