My heart is breaking

hipmarye

Songster
12 Years
Apr 12, 2007
Mississippi
We split a small order from Ideal with a friend. They arrived Thursday morning. Seven of specific breeds for us and 6 straight run for her. (she's out of town so I still have her little ones) My DS loves Brahmas so we ordered him one buff and one light.
Last night My DH and I noticed one of the Brahmas was sleeping standing up and leaning against the side of the box, but honestly I didn't think much more of it. She was still moving about and sleeping this morning with the others.
Just a moment ago I looked in on them and she was not moving. My DS is so sad. I cleaned out the brooder, water and feeder. I'm just concerned that others may die. I will keep a close eye on everyone and if I see anything suspicious I will defiantly isolate it. I only wish I had done that last night.
Is there anything else I should do/look for?

Last edited:
Make sure you keep them warm but not to warm and give them plenty of sugar water and make sure they are drinking too. Keep their feeders full of starter and make sure they are not plugged up either. If they get this way remove the poop plug as soon as you notice it. I am sorry you lost this 1 but some just dont survive shipping because of the heat and stress.

i'm so sorry for your loss. i guess the journey is harder on some than others.

i agree with Chatychick to keep an eye out for pasty butt. i had several from my mypetchicken order that had it and i was in cleaning off their booties every couple hours for about a week. It was worth it though, as everyone turned out fine.

I agree with all previous comments, relentless cleaning of poopy butt is a must. This Spring I picked up my first shipment of 6, I managed to kill all but 1 of them on the ride home from the Feed Store, it was way too cold and a really long second trip for them. I cried for about 24 hours straight, I felt sooooo bad. The next week I received 7 more and I watched them like a hawk, i even felt good enough to take the runt nobody wanted form the feed store and all of them made it. It is really nature at work, some are tough and can withstand a lot of stress and some just cannot do it. I'm sure the rest will make it, just keep a close eye on your heat and your little feathery butts!

I lost one of the batch I got from Ideal also, it was fine one day , then died the next day. Everyone else was fine though. I hope everone else is well.

I got mine from Ideal, but via a feed store in Houston, so they didn't have to travel far in the first place.

The shipment came in Thursday, and I was tempted to get my girls that day, but I decided to give them a day to recover from the travel.

It was only a half-hour ride home, but with just three of them in a crate together, they tended to bounce around a bit. I'm betting it was the travel that did your little one in.

I'm sorry... and now I'll be checking chicken butts like crazy! (lol)

Last edited:
I am so sorry, I'm sure you did everything right when you got them, I don't think there's anything you could have done. It's nature. Hope your other babies do well. Karen

Last edited:
I know you must be heartbroken! I know I would be! About the pasty butt thing-I got my first chicks ever 2 weeks ago and had never heard of such a thing! Well, I noticed a couple of mine had poop dried to them. I got some great advice from people on here! I cleaned it with a warm moist paper towel then applied baby oil like they said and never had another problem. Never thought I'd be cleaning a chickens butt!
ep.gif
But they have stole my heart! In two weeks! and I would just die if something happens to one of mine!

My choc lab does not like them but I'm hoping she will calm down before someone has a heart attack!
fl.gif
whether it be Cocoa my lab, my chickadees or ME!
fl.gif

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom