My heart is broke...that stupid *** bear UPDATE!!!! Problem gone!

Sorry for your loss, it just heart breaking.

I would not rebuild the coop for a year at least. Sounds like this bear has learned to hunt the birds. Bears will return to the same spot where they know they can find food. Does your state allow you to shoot at bears with pepper shot or any other non-lethal shot? We've "trained" a bear raiding our ranch to stay away with shot.

Thanks so much, I know this sounds stupid but I could not even use my good camera to take the photos. I felt like it would make it dirty even though I carried it out with me. I used my phone. I am going to take more (and graphic) photos and you must have been reading my mind. I may write and send an article into the paper. It left so many dead for no reason... The cop told me to throw the remains in the woods (200 some acres behind me so you think it would have enough room) because garbage day is to far away (fri) but I really do not want it to reap the rewards of its killing... I guess I have to get the bodies out. I feel bad for the pigeons I am surprised they did not have a heart attack but they all seem to have made it. The few chickens left are currently in a crate in the garage. I can not even think about what to do with them.

Quote:
Thanks
smile.png

We have to hug our bears in NJ
wink.png

I am scared for our saftey, what kind of spray would you suggest carrying. I even want my daughter to have one. I think we will just keep the pigeons in there... it seems to leave those alone? or am I just hoping??

Last edited:
Quote:
Except for an electric fence there is *no such thing* as a bear proof coop.... They've broken into houses where this person is from chicken wire isn't keeping them out.

I live in an area with bears and even in Ga we had bears come down out of the mountains. I know from experience even a raccoon can get through rusty chicken wire. If an animal is determined to get in they will succeed. That is a given. A better coop and run can help. I am not trying to start an arguement. I am very sorry the fowl was lost.

The OP stated in a later post there wasn't time to bear proof it.

Build a better coop. Add e;ectrice wire. Don't give up on your chickens.

Miss Prissy I'm sorry I know you're one of the sincere at heart & we here in NJ are just sensitive you know? And well you can see why we're sensitive now right? It hurts when you loose your pets & your heart is broken.

You do have a point however in not giving up on your chickens and frankly it was coming online here & you were one of the first that helped me to start real breathing again. I THANK YOU for that too! And I didn't really have a choice but to continue because I had so much "new about to go in" like the new coop & I had chicks on the way that I'd already ordered. The first thought for me too was "I'm going to have to get rid of the last 2. But I haven't & I'm happy I didn't. And I agree I think the OP should not give up on it either. & speaking with Panner is a huge help take my word for it!

Quote:
Thanks
smile.png

We have to hug our bears in NJ
wink.png

I am scared for our saftey, what kind of spray would you suggest carrying. I even want my daughter to have one. I think we will just keep the pigeons in there... it seems to leave those alone? or am I just hoping??

Deb. you can get bear mace in many places. I'm not really sure I understand the set up that you're in at your house. You're in a basement apartment of an appartment house or is it a private residence? If you are able to put up a chicken coop do you have the ability to use certain parts of the yard? Where & what is your nearest feed store?

sad.png
I FEEL FOR YOUR LOSS'S. Around here, they hunt bear w & wo dogs. I am not against bear hunting, but when some of the bear hunters leave the dogs up here to fend for themselves or die, well it makes me very angry. Also around here, if a bear comes into you yard then there is something wrong with it because bears just dont do that (around here). If I saw a bear in getting after my chickens, well, I probably wont aim to kill. My heart goes out to you, I would be devastated. But dont give up, build better coop, electric fence (tim allen style), very bright motion detector lights, and all the other ideas on here. Dont forget that you can always try to change the rules concerning bears coming into yards.

Sorry for your loss. We don't have bears here in Nebraska, just the occasional mountain lion. I grew up in NY state, and there were tons of bears there. They were always tearing into people's rabbit cages. I would try some electric fence and a motion detector light. Maybe you can set the motion detector up to have a loud radio go off. I wonder if SSS is an option.

Back
Top Bottom