My heart is broken / Told to get rid of my girls / Resolved!

Buugette

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra
10 Years
May 26, 2009
Bucks County, PA
I got a letter today telling me I have till July 13 to get rid of my 4 bantam hens. Crying too much to think straight right now.
hit.gif
I'm gonna call the township tomorrow, but I don't even know where to begin to try to keep them. They are my pets... I have had them for over a year... and my neighbors all know about them and have been fine with them.

I'm just sick over this. I don't know how to tell the kids.

D

Last edited:
hugs.gif
Thats so rotten how they do that to people
barnie.gif
I cant even stand how they can tell someone they cannot have a few chickens.
Its just not even right!!!!!!!

I truly feel for you. I've had my girls for 7 to 8 years and spent over $500 trying to keep them. It took several months to find new homes for them all. I had 30, all hand raised.

Who told you to get rid of the birds and on what grounds? As you plan to begin doing with your call to the township tomorrow, research this thoroughly. This likely doesn't have to end badly.
JJ

I brought them in the house this evening... they actually come in a lot. I know it sounds silly, but I am just sobbing... they really mean a lot to me. Its not like they are outside all year, they spent the winter in my sunroom in a rabbit hutch. They were happy and they get a lot of attention.

I got a letter from the Ordinance Enforcement Officer. It says "The keeping of livestock (chickens) is not permitted in the R1 Zoning District. You must remove all chickens from your property by July 13, 2010."

It sucks cause I know there are others in my neighborhood who have chickens... and I can't say anything. I can't risk them getting in trouble.

D

Last edited:
I live in fear of this very thing! Of course, being downtown, police, animal control, and the neighbors all have better things to worry about.

I have lots of chickens in my little backyard farm in the MIDDLE of Philadelphia, including bantam Polish and Silkies. If you need a place to foster them, or if it gets to the point where you are looking for homes in a hurry, let me know. I could probably take them all, or place them in about 10 minutes.

So sorry for you! I can't see what the problem with 4 bantam hens could possibly be... Just ridiculous.

Quote:
Thanks, I appreciate that. I don't want to rehome them... I want to keep them... Its not like I have 4 horses in my backyard, or cows... that I could understand.

Where you at Chicken Stock on May 23rd? I think I met you... you look familiar...

D

Last edited:
I was there indeed! Us tall bald guys just don't blend in very well...
wink.png

I'm horrible with names, and even worse with screen names, but it's very likely we did meet.

Quote:
Where you at Chicken Stock on May 23rd? I think I met you... you look familiar...

D

Back
Top Bottom