My heart is broken / Told to get rid of my girls / Resolved!

Quote:
Exactly, if they come inside, and have a "house" outside, how is that different than having 4 small dogs that have a doghouse outisde??

Quote:
Exactly, if they come inside, and have a "house" outside, how is that different than having 4 small dogs that have a doghouse outisde??

That would be my position.. they are not livestock..they are INDOOR pets.
I would not contact the zoning board and draw more attention to myself..... i would just wait it out..
AND i would bring the birds INSIDE the house for now... (just let them outside for a few hours of playtime)
They will probably come by around the 13th to see if you still have the birds... if they don t see them outside thay may just go away and assume that you got rid of the birds.. and hopefully they'll forget about you...

Last edited:
First,
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Second, I agree with huntercf
(They are just) hoping you will just cave and get rid of them because someone else doesn't like chickens.

Have you ever had a creditor nagging you on the phone and sending threatening letters? I have...over $4.53--no joke. They keep harrassing you until you send them money. The city has only sent one letter. Obviously somebody has complained. You say that you keep 4 Bantams. I'll bet there are people in your neighborhood that have 4 parakeets, or 4 lovebirds, or 4 guinea pigs, or 4 cats, or 4 dogs--nobody thinks that THEY are breaking a zoning law. If, in fact, you are not zoned for chickens, YOUR actions to keep yours will change the zoning particulars as a precedent, which is how our laws work in the U.S. (That's how you win cases in court, by bringing up examples to prove your case.
Third, JUST like we are all now on forums when our animals get sick, instead of CALLING OUR VETERANERIAN, how about taking this, a legal issue to your ATTORNEY. This is a GREAT time to fight city hall. We in Illinois who have a bankcrupt government, a little worse than the bankcrupt government in Pennsylvania, are finding that "city hall" cannot afford as much manpower as they could when times were better and they could waste a lot of money, like they used to do. If you fight them, you are small change and are not worth a lot of trouble to them. So...hire a lawyer and bring them a lot of trouble! If you do, and he/she files a suit, you will be able to keep your birds until it is settled, one way or the other. If you win, great. If you lose, great, Sue them.

Oh, regarding the $4.53? I started calling their 800 number and reminded them that every letter they send costs them $.44 and I am happy to be on HOLD, so that they can pay their phone company for it. I told them that I will call them and wait on hold EVERY TIME I receive a letter. You must be stubborn--good luck in the good fight.​

Last edited:
Quote:
The 2nd page of the letter says...

The Township will not pursue any formal legal action at this time in order to allow you an opportunity to correct this condition. I am confident that this matter can be resolved with your cooperation.

If you would like to discuss this matter, please feel free to call me at (215) 750-3800.

Sincerely,

Joseph Klitzner
Ordinance Enforcement Officer

1st notice
cc: file

(No actual signature on the paper...)

There's no place in the R-1 where it says I can have them... but there is also no where it states that I can't have them. (at least not that I have found)

D

Quote:
The 2nd page of the letter says...

The Township will not pursue any formal legal action at this time in order to allow you an opportunity to correct this condition. I am confident that this matter can be resolved with your cooperation.

If you would like to discuss this matter, please feel free to call me at (215) 750-3800.

Sincerely,

Joseph Klitzner
Ordinance Enforcement Officer

1st notice
cc: file

(No actual signature on the paper...)

There's no place in the R-1 where it says I can have them... but there is also no where it states that I can't have them. (at least not that I have found)D

If the wording for R-1 does not prohibit chickens or livestock period, then you are not required to get rid of them. If it says no livestock, then you must find out the definition of livestock for your area. If fowl or poultry or chickens are not a part of that definition, or if it states that livestock are animals that you raise to sell, and you don't sell yours, you are not required to get rid of them. However, if there is nothing stating that livestock is not allowed, or that chickens are not allowed, then do not get rid of your chickens. In addition, you have the right to confront your accuser. Also, contact every representative that represents your area. Whether it is your town rep, county rep, or district rep. call them all. get them on your side. send them the ordinace about R-1, and the definition of livestock if it is included in the R-1. Fight city hall, but do it with friends
smile.png

Good luck, I hope everything works out for the best!
hugs.gif

I don't like the fact that there isn't an actual signature on the page. Looks fishy to me.

If Joseph Klitzner, Ordinance Enforcement Officer, isn't the one who sent this letter to you it's unlikely that whoever did send it will do anything more to enforce it. They would be admitting that they forged an official document.

I still maintain, prepare all your documentation and wait it out.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm not lucky enough for it to be bogus... I would bet the secretary put it together, this Joe person wasn't available... and she sent it out. Probably no more no less... and they will hound me till I die.

One would think they would have better things to do.

D

It is possible that this particular officer is not fully versed on the codes in your city and made the assumption that chickens are not allowed. I too scanned the codes and found nothing that would indicate they are not allowed, nor anything to indicate they are. I didn't find anything specifically stating dogs and cats are allowed either so I think you have some room here.

Do your research, look over every code you can find that may apply. At worst, you may force them to define things better and even if they at that point choose to outlaw chickens you may be able to keep them under a grandfather clause.

Calm down, they are not going to do anything. I would recomend you keep them inside when you are gone. If some overzelous officer decides he has the right to just remove them from your property the outcome of your fight may come too late for your darling chickens. He would be wrong, but your chickens will still be gone.

They may think you are running a business which is prohibited. See if that is the case (and quit selling eggs of you are).

I doubt your town hall wants to fight with you unless they have had some complaints.

Nope - not selling eggs.

Not selling anything.

And their coop is no bigger than a dog house with a few alterations like the nest box, 2 doors, 2 vent windows and a side door to take food in and out.

Back
Top Bottom