My heart is broken / Told to get rid of my girls / Resolved!

I don't see anything in the cited section of the ordinance that forbids the keeping of chickens or any livestock. I would ask them to provide an ordinance citation that clearly forbids the keeping of livestock in R1 zones and another that defines livestock. The only thing close to a prohibition is this:

to exclude activities of a commercial or industrial nature and any activities not compatible with residential development

So long as you're not selling agricultural product, I can't see how your activities would be of a commercial or industrial nature. I think we can dismiss that. Now, "activities not compatible with residential development" is a bit vague. I really don't think that would hold up without clarification and resolution. You might want to tell your township to fire their solicitor for being awful at his job.

In my small town, everybody has always assumed that keeping "livestock" was forbidden b/c for 40-50 years nobody has. There was never an ordinance stipulating that you couldn't though. All of sudden, a few people got goats and even more have got chickens. At this point, council isn't willing to piss the "livestock" keepers off so they compromised. It's unlawful to keep porcine, bovine and equine livestock in the borough, which nobody had anyway.

Our county and town ordinances have glossaries that define livestock. Here is their definition:

"Livestock means cattle, sheep, horses, pigs, ponies, donkeys, mules and any other domesticated or wild animals weighing more than 200 pounds."

Talk about dropping the ball in our favor! Could there be a similar loophole for you?

When you call, do not mention chickens - just household pet birds. These are your pets who sometimes go outside with you to enjoy the sunshine.
lol.png

D we are going to get through this! I agree no where does it state "chickens" are livestock. And also They are NOT Livestock. I know these chickens are pets, and are treated as such (even better lol) We need to see codes clarify what livestock is, and what a pet is. Clearly these two are not the same.
D you are a STRONG woman, call them and see what grounds they have. I think once they realize you mean business I bet they back down. Gather your facts, prove your points!
But start with a phone call to see what the complaint about your pets is.
hugs.gif

do you know anyone who lives near you in a more rural area that can take them? or you could take your coop there and take care of them there??? i feel for you!

I called about an hour ago... of course I only reached voicemail.

I have been searching the full file of ordinances for my township... and every where it says livestock... it seperates out poultry. Here area few examples where it is used in the Agricultural areas...

FARM BUILDING -- Any building used for storing agricultural equipment or farm
produce, housing livestock or poultry, or processing dairy products. The term "farm
building" shall not include dwellings.

Any building used for the keeping or raising of livestock, poultry, birds, horses
or bees shall be situated..

Agricultural use, including tilling of the soil, nursery and the keeping or raising of
livestock, poultry, birds, horses and bees as an accessory use, provided that:

I don't think this will matter much though. Can they do anything to me if I bring them in the house? I already have them in now to visit... and they were inside all winter due to the cold weather.

Some holiday... get think abou this all weekend.

D

After posting a bit earlier I followed the link to your county ordinances.
In the Zoning section I scrolled down to the R-1 section since that's what the letter referred to your area as. I see limitations in the RA-1 section when it comes to chickens but not in the R-1 section.

I also agree that unless that letter came to you certified, I'd ignore it until I absolutely had to. In fact, I'd destroy the letter, BURN IT! In the meantime, print the Zoning codes and ordinances and highlight the areas that you believe entitle you to have your chickens. If anyone official comes to your door, be confident in your lawfully having your chickens and keep them until they can PROVE that you can't.

Editing to add this---
Is the scan of the letter you posted the entire letter? It doesn't seem to me that it has a signature. Also, why isn't it from the Zoning Department if you are in violation of a Zoning ordinance?

Last edited:
Quote:
Regardless of what the letter *says*, they quote no codes or zoning ordinances which expressly prohibit chickens.

In the Orleans Parish Zoning Ordinances, I am expressly prohibited from operating a kennel. A kennel is defined as "more than 4 dogs, cats, chickens". Therefore, I am allowed up to 4 chickens on my property. This is the only mention of chickens as relates to allowable or prohibited use within my zone.

My point here is, you need to read everything related to "fowl" "poultry" "chickens" and "livestock" in your code (there should be a search function), and be prepared to interpret it creatively.

Check the letter-referenced articles for additional information on allowed uses. Read the *entire* section for your zone (and verify that you're in zone R1). Skim through the definitions section (this is where I found chickens/poultry/fowl outside the animal care/cruelty sections of the code). Skim the agricultural section. If livestock is defined as "... poultry/fowl/chickens...", and livestock is not permitted in your zone, then you're out of luck. But you could apply for a variance. If chickens are not expressly permitted, they're also not expressly prohibited (per the above quoted text), and thus you've a bit of wiggle room to appeal and file for a variance to permit chickens on your property, provided you can meet all the other zoning requirements (setbacks for accessory buildings aka "coops", nuisance, smell, rodents/pests).

Codes are confusing, but the more you pick at them, the clearer they become.

Quote:
Maybe that neighbor can keep them for you until it all blows over, then you could take them back?? I can't imagine that they would refuse, and risk losing theirs as well...
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom