My Hen Behaving Like A Rooster!

I have a hen that crows in the morning. The first time she did it I was thinking what's that noise. The next day I heard and I seen it was coming from my hen. I thought she was a rooster until I found out online that it's a pecking order ans she's expressing her dominance over the flock. So maybe this is the case.
Has anyone ever had their hen start behaving like a rooster? My Mildred, a 2 year old Black Sex Link has recently started acting very rooster like! She is the head hen, recently granted that title about 6 months ago when my other head girl passed. She is definitely in charge around here chasing my younger girls away BUT she is also mounting them almost daily like a rooster would a hen! It’s not a peck.. it’s a full mount which they submit to. She is laying so I know it’s a hen! Can this happen? She even looks like a Roo! Enjoy the pic!
Hen
Has anyone ever had their hen start behaving like a rooster? My Mildred, a 2 year old Black Sex Link has recently started acting very rooster like! She is the head hen, recently granted that title about 6 months ago when my other head girl passed. She is definitely in charge around here chasing my younger girls away BUT she is also mounting them almost daily like a rooster would a hen! It’s not a peck.. it’s a full mount which they submit to. She is laying so I know it’s a hen! Can this happen? She even looks like a Roo! Enjoy the pic!

So happy to find this thread! I thought my hen had lost her mind!! She's a 4 yr old Plymouth rock and for about 2 months she will just mount one of the other hens until they submit! We have only had roosters recently for a very brief time as I raised some chicks and 2 were Roo's she never acknowledged them and they were honestly afraid of her! They are no longer in the flock but as I said the brief time they were here did not change her behavior I think she's just the head hen in charge!!!

So happy to find this thread! I thought my hen had lost her mind!! She's a 4 yr old Plymouth rock and for about 2 months she will just mount one of the other hens until they submit! We have only had roosters recently for a very brief time as I raised some chicks and 2 were Roo's she never acknowledged them and they were honestly afraid of her! They are no longer in the flock but as I said the brief time they were here did not change her behavior I think she's just the head hen in charge!!!
It’s always good to know we’re not alone! These crazy girls!

I have a similar issue. My grandson gave me his only remaining chicken, a silverlaced Wyandotte. She was his only remaining because she cannibalised the other hens! She lays eggs daily and crows like a rooster. I put her in with my chickens but totally isolated her from everyone. They can see her and she can see them. My question is can her behavior change? He doesn’t want her to be destroyed but I don’t want her killing all my girls. There is a rooster in my coop so I wondered if that would make a difference in her behavior but don’t want any dead chickens to find out. Any advice is appreciated.

How weird! Exact same scenerio. Black sex link, acts like a rooster. Crazy. She doesn’t mount, but let me tell you. She pecks you? You let her do it. You fight back and she goes rabid. You run? Rabid. You defend yourself? Rabid.
What do i mean by rabid you ask? She chases after you ripping off your shoes, watch, and won’t stop.

I have a similar issue. My grandson gave me his only remaining chicken, a silverlaced Wyandotte. She was his only remaining because she cannibalised the other hens! She lays eggs daily and crows like a rooster. I put her in with my chickens but totally isolated her from everyone. They can see her and she can see them. My question is can her behavior change? He doesn’t want her to be destroyed but I don’t want her killing all my girls. There is a rooster in my coop so I wondered if that would make a difference in her behavior but don’t want any dead chickens to find out. Any advice is appreciated.
Wow. Not sure, but it definitely could be due to the others having injuries and wounds. That is super likely. Or due to bordem. Thing is, though If those were the case it would be very likely everyone else (or more then one) would do the same,

Do you have a Roo? if not it could be a dominance thing.
I have a Plymouth Rock hen, she is the oldest hen in the group and she is the boss, we do have a little silkie mix roo but he is not permitted to be in charge Nugget mounts the hens and mounts the little roo to let them know who's in charge! She is very friendly to people and does not hurt the other hens just mounts them to keep them in their place I suppose!

Back
Top Bottom