My Hen Can't Stand Up or Eat

VeganForTheAnimals

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2021
South Carolina, USA
My hen Rudy is sick, but I don't know what is wrong with her. The day before yesterday when I let everyone out of the coop I noticed Rudy wasn't as lively as she normally is. Her balance was a little off too. I watched her for a few minutes and she kinda went back to normal. She ate and drank with her flock. But when I went to close the coop doors that night she was sitting on the ground outside - which was not normal for her. I picked her up and placed her inside the coop to roost, but she would not stand up so I brought her inside the house in a pet carrier instead. I took her to the vet yesterday, but he didn't really give me a diagnosis. He just gave her a shot of Dexamethasone and Baytril to put in her water. When I got home she finally started drinking again, but wouldn't eat. It's really weird. I could tell she was hungry, but it was like she couldn't locate the food even with it right in front of her. I don't know if her eyesight is bad or maybe something caused her perception to be off? Anyway, I stuck some banana on her beak and she licked and ate it. So that's what I've been doing to feed her because she won't peck anything herself. If anyone knows why she may have suddenly lost the ability to stand up and cannot locate her food, please let me know. Thank you.

The vet didn't treat her for shock or starvation? She should have received a glucose drip. You can treat for this by mixing a cup of warm water with a teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt and baking soda and try to get her to drink as much as she will.

Her symptoms most likely are from shock from a fright. Perhaps she saw a predator. Or the symptoms can also resemble starvation. If there's a chance she is a bullying victim, she may have been kept away from the feeder. You will need to get some scrambled egg into her and Poultry Nutri-drench can help restore her nutrients that would restore her energy.

If that doesn't revive her, she may have something more serious such as an avian virus. These are diagnosed after a chicken dies with a necropsy.

My hen Rudy is sick, but I don't know what is wrong with her. The day before yesterday when I let everyone out of the coop I noticed Rudy wasn't as lively as she normally is. Her balance was a little off too. I watched her for a few minutes and she kinda went back to normal. She ate and drank with her flock. But when I went to close the coop doors that night she was sitting on the ground outside - which was not normal for her. I picked her up and placed her inside the coop to roost, but she would not stand up so I brought her inside the house in a pet carrier instead. I took her to the vet yesterday, but he didn't really give me a diagnosis. He just gave her a shot of Dexamethasone and Baytril to put in her water. When I got home she finally started drinking again, but wouldn't eat. It's really weird. I could tell she was hungry, but it was like she couldn't locate the food even with it right in front of her. I don't know if her eyesight is bad or maybe something caused her perception to be off? Anyway, I stuck some banana on her beak and she licked and ate it. So that's what I've been doing to feed her because she won't peck anything herself. If anyone knows why she may have suddenly lost the ability to stand up and cannot locate her food, please let me know. Thank you.
have you tried supportive care and handfeeding? probiotics in her water is a good idea. try bringing her to the vet if you have the money. wish you luck. :confused:

The vet didn't treat her for shock or starvation? She should have received a glucose drip. You can treat for this by mixing a cup of warm water with a teaspoon of sugar and a pinch of salt and baking soda and try to get her to drink as much as she will.

Her symptoms most likely are from shock from a fright. Perhaps she saw a predator. Or the symptoms can also resemble starvation. If there's a chance she is a bullying victim, she may have been kept away from the feeder. You will need to get some scrambled egg into her and Poultry Nutri-drench can help restore her nutrients that would restore her energy.

If that doesn't revive her, she may have something more serious such as an avian virus. These are diagnosed after a chicken dies with a necropsy.
Okay, I will try that. I don't think it would be shock from a predator because everyone else in the flock is fine and it just doesn't quite seem like that is the issue. And up until yesterday she was eating normally, so I don't think it is starvation either. Thank you so much though, I will be sure to try your suggestions.

Okay, I will try that. I don't think it would be shock from a predator because everyone else in the flock is fine and it just doesn't quite seem like that is the issue. And up until yesterday she was eating normally, so I don't think it is starvation either. Thank you so much though, I will be sure to try your suggestions.
i wish you so much luck. never give up on her ok? 💜

have you tried supportive care and handfeeding? probiotics in her water is a good idea. try bringing her to the vet if you have the money. wish you luck. :confused:
Yeah, I took her to the vet yesterday. The doctor didn't give me a diagnosis but gave her a shot of dexamethasone and some Baytril to put in her water. I hand fed her some banana, but I kinda had to push her beak down in it so she would lick it up because she won't peck anything. I don't know if her perception/eyesight is off or what, but she can't seem to see the food even when I hold it in front of her. She was completely fine until a day or two ago. Thank you for your reply though.

Could you post pictures of both eyes? If not, are both eyes clear, normal color and have round pupils? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease as a day old chick? Can she move one leg better than the other? I would try holding a small scoop or lid up to her beak, and first get plenty of water into her. Try feeding watery chicken feed, scrambled bits of egg, tuna, or canned cat food. The vet may have tried to treat for some possible infection, but they could also help teach you how to tube feed her if needed. Hopefully, she will improve with hand feeding. Keep her in her own basket or dog crate. Chicken slings can sometimes be helpful to get the up and in front of food and water. Here is a link about chicken slings:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Could you post pictures of both eyes? If not, are both eyes clear, normal color and have round pupils? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease as a day old chick? Can she move one leg better than the other? I would try holding a small scoop or lid up to her beak, and first get plenty of water into her. Try feeding watery chicken feed, scrambled bits of egg, tuna, or canned cat food. The vet may have tried to treat for some possible infection, but they could also help teach you how to tube feed her if needed. Hopefully, she will improve with hand feeding. Keep her in her own basket or dog crate. Chicken slings can sometimes be helpful to get the up and in front of food and water. Here is a link about chicken slings:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
Both of her eyes look completely normal. But it's like her depth perception is off or something. I, unfortunately, did not have her vaccinated for Mareks disease. I was only 12 years old when I got her and knew nothing about Mareks. I think both her legs are the same. She still can't stand up, but she tries to get up by pushing her beak on the ground to lift herself up slightly. I think she can move her legs, they are just too weak to be able to stand up. Last night I actually got her to eat some more banana. She tried to peck it herself this time which was good. However, as I said, her depth perception seems off and a lot of times she would peck in the wrong place for food. Right now I have her in a pet carrier in my room so that I can keep an eye on her. Thank you for the link and everything else.

I have had three pullets recently with these symptoms. I made a chicken wheel chair for them. It's a cardboard box with leg holes toward the front with a poop hole close behind them. I even managed to put oatmeal carton wheels on it. The chicken is supported in a sort of sitting/standing position so they can eat and drink on their own. I'll try to find a few photos.

Two out of the three pullets have died from this. One is at the state lab right now getting necropsied and her tissues scoped for what might have killed her. No results back yet. I've been trying to treat this for seven months. The one at the lab revovered completely twice before coming down with the intense symptoms that finally finished her off.

A third pullet is recovering and getting around okay with one gimpy leg, but she manages to get into the coop and into a nest box to lay her eggs.

So far, it's been determined that lymphoma is involved in my pullets' case. But it hasn't got a name yet. I've been calling it "May's Syndrome" after the pullet who's been battling the disorder the longest.

Try offering moistened chicken feed, scrambled bits of egg, tuna, or canned cat food in moderation. Chicken feed is the best. Water her often. It would not hurt to crush some vitamin B complex 1/4 tablet daily and put it in a spoonful of water or her food. Here is a video of a chicken sling chair:

Back
Top Bottom