My hen is acting like a rooster?!

Pics

sagehound

Songster
Sep 21, 2017
Powell Butte, Oregon
I have 17 hens and they are 18 weeks old. The head hen has been crowing like a rooster since she was 14 weeks old. Today when I went out to feed she was mounting another hen. I had read that sometimes in a backyard flock without a rooster the lead hen will sometimes take on the characteristics of a rooster but obviously can't fertilize eggs. She is starting to be a real bitch and I'm hoping that she will start to lay eggs and get over this. My question is: 1. Will she stop acting like a rooster once she is old enough to lay eggs? 2. Is there anything I can do to help her with this identity crisis? 3. What happens when and if I get a rooster?

Has anyone experienced this before?

P.S. I ordered all of the my chickens from Meyers and she was the extra chick they gave me so I could give her eggs away. So I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have messed up and given me a rooster?!

I have 17 hens and they are 18 weeks old. The head hen has been crowing like a rooster since she was 14 weeks old. Today when I went out to feed she was mounting another hen. I had read that sometimes in a backyard flock without a rooster the lead hen will sometimes take on the characteristics of a rooster but obviously can't fertilize eggs. She is starting to be a real bitch and I'm hoping that she will start to lay eggs and get over this. My question is: 1. Will she stop acting like a rooster once she is old enough to lay eggs? 2. Is there anything I can do to help her with this identity crisis? 3. What happens when and if I get a rooster?

Has anyone experienced this before?

P.S. I ordered all of the my chickens from Meyers and she was the extra chick they gave me so I could give her eggs away. So I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have messed up and given me a rooster?!

You could very well have a cockerel on your hands. As @Melky wrote, post a picture.

I too purchased from Meyer and they only offer a 90% sexing guarantee. I purchased 1 male and 10 females. I ended up with 2 males and 9 females.

Ok, here "she" is at about 15-16 weeks old.
-September 25, 2018_untitled_733.jpg
-September 25, 2018_untitled_712.jpg
-September 25, 2018_untitled_704.jpg

Back
Top Bottom