My hen is acting like a rooster?!

Agree, your coop or run looks awesome. He's a he, also in the first picture, the bird directly behind him is possibly also a cockerel. Very hard to tell, and don't know the breed, but it also has large red wattles and red comb compared to all others visible. Hopefully a hen, but I'd keep an eye on that one too. Would LOVE to see pictures of your set up!

The white bird is a cockerel. I think the red/orange bird right behind him in the first picture might be a cockerel, too. He is mostly blocked out by the white bird in the picture. Photos of that bird would help us confirm or deny my suspicion.

You have to do what's right for you in regards to surprise cockerels. You could keep him if it is allowed where you live and you actually want a cockerel, you could eat him, or you can advertise to give him to someone.

That happens very rarely and nearly always when the hen is at the end of laying age. The ovary is either damaged or failing which messes up the hormones.

If one your age crows it is a rooster

One of my hens started crowing at age one year for a few weeks while she was off lay after raising chicks. Then she went back to laying and quit crowing.

Another pullet I used to have was definitely female looking, but did not lay. At nine months she started crowing occasionally and even tried mounting other girls. Then almost a year old she started laying and stopped all the weirdness. So it can happen to younger birds due to hormone imbalances I believe. But in the Ops case it is just a cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom