My hen is acting like a rooster?!

Last year, my hatchery barred rocks were developing combs and wattles by 16-17 weeks to lay by 21-22 ish weeks. Of course the leghorn hens combs and wattles were also very developed by 16 weeks, too, and laid at 18 and 19 weeks.

This year, I didn’t have a hen develop a semblance of comb or wattles until after 22/23 weeks.

It’ll all depend on the breed and the individual bird. Are these the only two with come and wattles?

Here’s my birds I’m referencing at 17 weeks.
5E799FE1-E240-46E5-8F88-DFC7FED43AA4.jpeg

Last year, my hatchery barred rocks were developing combs and wattles by 16-17 weeks to lay by 21-22 ish weeks. Of course the leghorn hens combs and wattles were also very developed by 16 weeks, too, and laid at 18 and 19 weeks.

This year, I didn’t have a hen develop a semblance of comb or wattles until after 22/23 weeks.

It’ll all depend on the breed and the individual bird. Are these the only two with come and wattles?

Here’s my birds I’m referencing at 17 weeks.
View attachment 1560366
Yours look very different that's for sure. :) I think I have another rooster.... my golden-laced wyandotte.

I agree with both Coach and Jed in that the white bird is a cockerel, and that the bird behind him in the first picture is very likely a cockerel also.
It's so funny that the three of you mentioned the bird behind him. I just realized today after looking at "her" that he is also a cockerel. He is a golden-laced wyandotte and my most beautiful. He doesn't crow though? Is that because he is not the top rooster?

It's so funny that the three of you mentioned the bird behind him. I just realized today after looking at "her" that he is also a cockerel. He is a golden-laced wyandotte and my most beautiful. He doesn't crow though? Is that because he is not the top rooster?
Crowing depends more on the individual rooster in my experience.
I once had 4 at one time and all of them crowed through the day, no matter what their position in the pecking order.
So I think that he will start crowing eventually, or he's just not a big 'crower', it happens sometimes.
He definitely is a cockerel, though, based on the picture. :)

Back
Top Bottom